Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33" a/t load range on 2dr

Old 06-27-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33" a/t load range on 2dr

looking to put 33"s on. no muds for me. i'll add some weight with bumpers but no winch and no tire carrier, no roof rack, and a soft top. would load d's be too stiff. its my DD as well. thanks for all the help.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
"D" is an 8 ply tire.. you will be fine "C" is 6 Ply most passenger cars and SUV's "E" is 10 ply - HD trucks
in i correct in thinking a 2 door jk soft top is on the light side for load d's? would i have to air down a bit? thanks
Old 06-27-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie

Radials made that ply stuff obsolete. They don't have that many plies anymore. (There may an oddball exception. ) The Service Description is far more useful if one bothers to learn about them.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, my thinking is that a load range D is on the stiff side for a JK. And most passenger car tires have a "standard" load rating not C. I think C is perfect for the JK, I just wish we had more choices available. For example, you can get BFGs in the C rating in 15 inch sizes but everthing in 16 inch is D and E. I love BFGs but don't really want the added weight and stiffness. Goodyear does make the Duratrac in a 16 inch load range C though.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Delgriffth

in i correct in thinking a 2 door jk soft top is on the light side for load d's? would i have to air down a bit? thanks
I use D-rated tires on my 2 door. I use about 28 PSI on road, 16 off.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Delgriffth
looking to put 33"s on. no muds for me. i'll add some weight with bumpers but no winch and no tire carrier, no roof rack, and a soft top. would load d's be too stiff. its my DD as well. thanks for all the help.
I have a little story that you might find interesting. When I purchased my Jeep ( 2007 X 2d ). As it sat on the lot, it had those silly looking 225/65 r16's on plain jane steel wheels. I knew it would be a long time befor I could buy new wheels and tires. So I aske the dealer about trading my wheels and tires for a more appropriate looking set. Anyway, I wound up with a set of painted aluminum ( OEM accessory ) wheels. And they were wrapped in Goodyear 245/65 r16 SRA (E)'s. So I have driven on E rated tires ever since I have owned the Jeep. The ride may be a little rough. But I like the fact that it is a rugged tire. And just maybe they contributed to the fact that I got 80,000+ miles out of the orignal set. So now I'm sporting the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks E rated

Old 06-27-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

"D" isn't too much. Your "light weight" 2-door is still about 4,500lbs. The 4-door, depending on equipment options I'd say is about 4,700 to 5,000lbs. Shoot, some F150 trucks only weigh 5,000 lbs.

Add bumpers, skids, winch, rack, gear, etc and you can easily end up with a 7,000lbs JK.

I've run 255/85r16 BFG M/T tires on our old Montero Sport and the load range D wasn't harsh at all. Set air pressure right and match it up with a more supple shock and away you go. The weight of the montero sport is very similar to a JK with front and rear steel bumpers. Both are plagued by gutless engines to boot.

I'd have no qualms with a D tire. I probably couldn't tell the difference between it and a C except when cornering as the D will be a bit stiffer side wall which should mean more crisp turn in.

Trending Topics

Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

""D" isn't too much. Your "light weight" 2-door is still about 4,500lbs."

haha point taken, sure feels lighter then an f150, especially when the wind is blowing it all over the highway. then again its about as aerodynamic as a brick. thanks for the knowledge guys.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ECHO
Here are the stats: So ply's do still do exsist and are used just as much as before

Notice it says "Ply Rating"? That's for old farts that still think in bias ply terms. Read the sidewalls of your tires. I'll bet you a beer they don't have 8 plies. The Load Range is the modern equivalent. The Service Description (not on your high-level chart) is even more enlightening.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

I think the curg weight on a 2door sport is around 3700 to 3800 lbs if I remember correctly from the Jeep website?

Quick Reply: 33" a/t load range on 2dr