Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33" Spare Tire does not meet up with the rubber Stops ???

Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Get another set of locking lugnuts...
Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always buy a steel cord bicycle chain and an outdoor padlock. Wrap it through the wheel and the wheel carrier.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered mine from Northridge. They came in a couple days ago. Dave might have some in stock if you can't find them local.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Sweet = ) Thanks again guys for sharing all your knowledge with me
Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Do you have to have them? Nope. But if you go off-road, get a set. They are cheap, and will stop the side to side movement of the spare and 'hopefully' help keep the tailgate in good shape a while longer.

You can pick them up at pretty much any of your local 4x4 shops, or any shop online...

do these really keep your spare from bouncing around when out on the trail?? yes, its a real question. just thinking if you are really gettin' it on the trail, is your spare really secure as you might think by having these on there?
Old 04-14-2017, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jetsfan28
Appearantly Daystar is waaay behind on these things. I needed a set and must have called 20 different places... all on backorder until January!

Then I checked Amazon, and got the last one in their stock Sorry?

In a pinch you can use racquetballs or a length on radiator hose cut to length and slid over the factory stops.

They have theft in Nowhere, OH? Is that where Nowhere Man is from?
..use Gorilla Splined "locking" lugs on the spare, or any other locking lug nuts... and/or a locking tire cover if you wish.

After reviewing this, and other threads, I saw references to hockey pucks, longer bolts, painted PVC etc. One of the posts said to install a 1" rubber hose inside the stock part to extend it... that was my plan. I easily removed my stock rubber tire bumper and took it into the NAPA store. After talking to the salesman, we found that 1 7/8 I.D. hose fits perfectly OVER the entire stock part and fits snugly....VIOLA! It's a pretty heavy duty hose and he said costs $16.00 per foot. They had two little shorties left over and I got them for $4 each.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll chime in and agree with what has been said. It is important to have the tire resting on something. I just replaced my factory carrier so I removed it for the first time. All I can say is WOW, the factory carrier probably weighs less than 5lbs! Noway I wanted a heavy tire hanging on that thing, let alone hanging in mid air.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is why a teraflex hd tire carrier is in my near future ( weeks)

Quick Reply: 33" Spare Tire does not meet up with the rubber Stops ???