Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33" Spare Tire does not meet up with the rubber Stops ???

Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 33" Spare Tire does not meet up with the rubber Stops ???

I finally recieved my matching 33" spare to mount on the back with the 5th custom rim and when it is bolted up tight the rubber monts are about 2" shy of making contact with the spare.

Do I need to buy some sort of aftermarket rubber stops ? Do I have to have them ? And where do I get them from ?

Thanks guys =)
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the offset on your new wheel is different.. but no big deal. i wouldn't even worry about it.. it will be fine. if you ever get a aftermarket carrier the tire usually doesn't make contact with them anyway.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

I would be worried about the tire and wheel bouncing with the possibility of future damage.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spleify
I would be worried about the tire and wheel bouncing with the possibility of future damage.
This.

The tire needs to be up snug against the stop on the tailgate. Buy the extension, or get an aftermarket carrier.

Anthony
Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Do I need to buy some sort of aftermarket rubber stops ? Do I have to have them ? And where do I get them from ?
Do you have to have them? Nope. But if you go off-road, get a set. They are cheap, and will stop the side to side movement of the spare and 'hopefully' help keep the tailgate in good shape a while longer.

You can pick them up at pretty much any of your local 4x4 shops, or any shop online...

Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Do you have to have them? Nope. But if you go off-road, get a set. They are cheap, and will stop the side to side movement of the spare and 'hopefully' help keep the tailgate in good shape a while longer.

You can pick them up at pretty much any of your local 4x4 shops, or any shop online...

X2... They will probably help out in the long run and they are cheap enough that you won't mind investing in them now and a tire carrier later.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

if i get a 35x12.5 spare will this work? i hant an aftermarket rear bumper but not the tire carrier
Old 11-23-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hamrickac
if i get a 35x12.5 spare will this work? i hant an aftermarket rear bumper but not the tire carrier
Yes, with a relocation bracket. But be mindful of the weight on the factory gate. It could result in premature failure.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Wow...all great responses... Thanks for all your help everyone =)

I will continue to run it without until I get some new bump stops.

One more question...please..... Is there any theft deterant or way to lock the spare to keep jerks from stealing my spare ???
Old 11-23-2010, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Appearantly Daystar is waaay behind on these things. I needed a set and must have called 20 different places... all on backorder until January!

Then I checked Amazon, and got the last one in their stock Sorry?

In a pinch you can use racquetballs or a length on radiator hose cut to length and slid over the factory stops.

They have theft in Nowhere, OH? Is that where Nowhere Man is from?
..use Gorilla Splined "locking" lugs on the spare, or any other locking lug nuts... and/or a locking tire cover if you wish.

Last edited by jetsfan28; 11-23-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 33" Spare Tire does not meet up with the rubber Stops ???