Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33" Replacement for my Grabber AT 2's

Old 10-11-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 33" Replacement for my Grabber AT 2's

I've done really well with these tires for many years on my TJ, this JK and our FJ. I'm putting a Teraflex leveling kit on this weekend and will be needing to replace my worn out AT2's soon with 285/70/17's. I'm keeping the stock 7.5" wheels, so 33x12.50's are out, making the AT2 out since they don't make a 285/17. I'm gonna miss this tire.

Here in PA, most tires never see the mileage they advertise because of the crappy roads. I get 28-30k out of the AT 2's and LOVE their snow and ice performance. Best AT tire I have ever had in the snow. When I do go off road, AT's are adequate for where and what I do.

How is the snow performance and mileage from the Toyo Open Country and Nitto Terra's? Their prices are very enticing.

Also looking at Dunlop Fierce, Duratracs and Safari TSR...but I got the feeling these tires won't realistically see more than 20k-25k around PA before cupping and wearing out even with religious rotation schedules. Plus the added expense of these tires. So tempting, but too many cons to them IMO since I don't need the off road capability I'm paying for in them.

So, those of you from the Mid Atlantic and North East.....any real life experience for a long lasting AT for a daily driver that's good in snow replace my beloved Grabber AT 2's? I put about 15k-17k a year on, so realistically, a set of tires lasts me 2 years max.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The roads in PA must be absolute garbage. Here in KY, our roads are curvy, hilly, rough, etc. but I still have personally seen guys get 70,000 or more miles out of the Grabber AT2s. They are the longest wearing tires I have ever seen, with the exception of my buddy's KM1s that he ran for about the same amount of time.

You should check out the Mastercraft Courser C/T. It's a long wearing hybrid tire. Good on the road even in foul weather, but decent offroad too. Reasonably priced, made in the USA by Cooper, and available in lots of sizes. The Courser AT2 is also great.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

I also had the AT2's on my 06 TJ and loved them. When I got my JK I took the stock 18 inch wheels off and put on custom 17 inchers. I went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers due to price. I noticed a huge improvement in ride,handling and wet traction over the stock Bridgstones. These are not very aggressive looking tires but had no problems at all last winter. I have not rotated them yet and with over 9000 miles on them I see almost no wear. Like yourself I don't seem to get much life out of tires here in Pa so these have surprised me so far. Love them.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

My brotherinlaw who lived in Doylestown for three years. ran BFG A/T ko's on their 4-runner with the V8. He still has half tread after 30,000 miles.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with GoodYear DuraTracs. You won't regret it.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 PM
JK Newbie

Another vote for Duratracs here.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Duratracs are an option, more so the Safari TSR though as I got a rate of $234 M&B inlcuded for them in 285/70R17. I'd love to hear from Safari & Duratrac owners with real life PA mileage though. Really aggressive tires like that wear poorly here and cup fast resulting in brake/steering vibrations as they wear. I've been there, done that with MT's before and don't want that again. Nothing worse than coming down a steep mtn hill in the winter and your tires are wobbling all over the place because of cupping and crappy wear.

The Toyos and Nittos are a bit cheaper, but not a whole lot really. It all comes down to longevity. Online reviews are all over the place on these 2 tires, with most of the reviews being lower profile 18-20's on heavier trucks in Southern or Western locations. That's apples to oranges compared to a 33 on a JK in Pennsylvania.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 71Luber
Duratracs are an option, more so the Safari TSR though as I got a rate of $234 M&B inlcuded for them in 285/70R17. I'd love to hear from Safari & Duratrac owners with real life PA mileage though. Really aggressive tires like that wear poorly here and cup fast resulting in brake/steering vibrations as they wear. I've been there, done that with MT's before and don't want that again. Nothing worse than coming down a steep mtn hill in the winter and your tires are wobbling all over the place because of cupping and crappy wear.

The Toyos and Nittos are a bit cheaper, but not a whole lot really. It all comes down to longevity. Online reviews are all over the place on these 2 tires, with most of the reviews being lower profile 18-20's on heavier trucks in Southern or Western locations. That's apples to oranges compared to a 33 on a JK in Pennsylvania.
Yea I don't want to go through that either. I talked to a good year rep when I bought these 33" and they told me to keep up with balancing every 3 to 4 thousand and cross rotate, cupping shouldnt be a problem. I'm coming up on 4000 and no issues yet. It seems that theses tires were made to be on the jeep. Has been nice so far! I guess time will tell.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump......
Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Grabber at 2 are the best tire for the price. At $163.00 a tire, you can't beat it. They are wearing great.

Quick Reply: 33" Replacement for my Grabber AT 2's