Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33" M/Ts REGEAR

Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by REL1203
That number, i am can almost gurentee, is with OD off....

the JK OD saves about 30%, which would bring it down to 2100ish, much more inline with what calculations say...
It's a manual tranny they don't have as deep of OD gear as the auto .69.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by redrockin7
Just found this in another thread:

"I just got my 4.88 gears in my JK.

JK X, 2 door, 6 speed, 33" ProComps, 2" lift, Hypertech, air intake, exhaust.

It runs better than new! 70mph @ 2900 rpm , take off in 2nd gear, never shift down for hills or to pass."

Seems like he likes them, but appears the RPM are higher "in life" than this calculator? 2900 RPM seems a bit high to me but maybe I could get used to it. I just wonder how much lower 4.56 would really be...
Actually - I think this fellow has the MT judging by the language so different than an AT - agreed. Maybe 4.88 is right?!

See why this is so confusing?! LOL

EDIT: beat me to the MT comment
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Plug in the tranny auto as .69 and the manual as .85 I think, and the transfer as 1. then select the gear ratio you want and select your speed enjoy.
http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm
Old 03-06-2009, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Outdoors
Plug in the tranny auto as .69 and the manual as .85 I think, and the transfer as 1. then select the gear ratio you want and select your speed enjoy.
http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm
This is the calc I used above... sorry I didn't post the link. Thanks Outdoors!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Whats the labor cost for regearing?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 33" KM2's with the stock 3.73 ratio. I really wanted to re-gear for the longest time, as it's definitely rough to maintain highway speed on any kind of incline. I ultimately decided, however, that it's livable if you turn OD off on an incline and probably not worth the $1-2K cost to regear. I bought an AEV ProCal and it definitely helped with the shift points.

If you're going to go the re-gearing route, I can tell you that after doing a lot of research, I had decided that 4.88 was the way to go with 33s... at least for me in Arizona with 75mph speed limits and 6000 ft elevation gains going up north. I know I'm going to want to go to 35s soon, and the consensus seems to be 5.13s with 35s... and I don't want to regear twice.

Before you invest the $1-2K for a gear swap, I'd suggest getting a ProCal and manually working the OD on inclines. With the lower speed limits on the east coast, that might be livable enough to not justify regearing.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SunnyD
I have 33" KM2's with the stock 3.73 ratio. I really wanted to re-gear for the longest time, as it's definitely rough to maintain highway speed on any kind of incline. I ultimately decided, however, that it's livable if you turn OD off on an incline and probably not worth the $1-2K cost to regear. I bought an AEV ProCal and it definitely helped with the shift points.

If you're going to go the re-gearing route, I can tell you that after doing a lot of research, I had decided that 4.88 was the way to go with 33s... at least for me in Arizona with 75mph speed limits and 6000 ft elevation gains going up north. I know I'm going to want to go to 35s soon, and the consensus seems to be 5.13s with 35s... and I don't want to regear twice.

Before you invest the $1-2K for a gear swap, I'd suggest getting a ProCal and manually working the OD on inclines. With the lower speed limits on the east coast, that might be livable enough to not justify regearing.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, I'll be getting a Procal soon I guess. Any advice on the other products ie Superchips? Seems like Procal is the only one that can recenter steering wheel and reset the ESP?

Last edited by jgerhard; 02-12-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Junkie

There are a ton of threads on this subject and the common misconception is the modestly higher rpms of a steeper gear set robs efficiency. What will rob efficiency more is a greater frequency of downshifting.

A lot of things need to be sorted out. The terrain you rollover, the velocity you travel, the weight of your vehicle and what your future plans are.

As for programmers, the Superchips Flashpaq and Vivid has an optional advanced trans tune which allows customizable shift schedules. This will maximize what you get out of any gear set and personalize how your transmission performs.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Procal is the only one that can work with the '11's right now. Others are still working to crack the new codes
Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hagausaf
Procal is the only one that can work with the '11's right now. Others are still working to crack the new codes
Good to know, thx

Quick Reply: 33" M/Ts REGEAR