Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33 and 35s on 16" stock wheel

Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33 and 35s on 16" stock wheel

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2838524724.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	501473

Just wondering who has 33 or 35 tires on the stock 16 wheel, kinda tight for cash at the moment wondering what it would look like to have nice tires on those stock wheels until I can afford nicer wheels. Btw I did look at the 35s on stockers tread but they are all wrapped on the 17 or 18 stockers. Anyway post pics please if you have them.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you want to stick with a 16" wheel diameter in the future? Because if you buy a real nice set of 33" or 35" tires you're stuck with that wheel sizes. There are options in that size, but much more in the 15" and 17" wheel size category (better wheel options, too). Once you've gone with a wheel diameter, you're either swapping tires or wheels (again).

I don't think I'd do bigger than a 33" for width concerns unless you stick with a very narrow tire, but that can come at the cost of on and off-road performance.

I've seen people do 32's and 33's on those wheels and it's kind of a neat old-school throwback. The added benefit, though, is those wheels are super cheap (often free!), if you were to screw one up on the trail.

I see people buy these big, expensive and beautiful "off-road" wheels and then they cry when one of them comes down on a rock and it removes metal and paint. They wouldn't feel so bad or care if the entire wheel was $50 to replace

Oh, and depending on fitment, you'll probably need to run spacers to correct for the lack of backspacing on the stock wheels. 33's will rub at full lock, and 35's will rub...a lot.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Keep in mind that in going to taller/wider tires, you just might need to add spacers to move the bigger tires out of the wheel wells enough to keep them from rubbing. Instead of buying spacers and then new rims, you may be better off waiting a few months until you can afford both the rims and tires. Which also has the benefit of letting you move to another rim size if you choose.

I chose to drop down to 16's shortly after buying my JK back in 08. Moving up to 37's, I found that I have '4' options for new tires on 16" rims. Rim size is definitely something to consider.

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-30-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post I have 265/75R16s on mine...

added RC spacers to widen the stance They looked big compared to the 225s for a while. Now I'm trying to decide between 305s & 315s. I know those will require a 8" rim

Quick Reply: 33 and 35s on 16" stock wheel