Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

32-33 inch tire advice

Old 05-20-2013, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I ordered the General tire. Just can't do the Duratrac's at $500 more right now. I think they are about the next best on my list.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horrocks007
Well, I ordered the General tire. Just can't do the Duratrac's at $500 more right now. I think they are about the next best on my list.
The AT2's were my next choice but i went with the DuraTracs as i see quite a bit of deep snow and a bit of mud. Nonetheless from what i saw during my due diligence of the Grabber's they are an AWESOME tire. Enjoy.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you looked into the toyo at2's? i have a set of 285/75/16 and really love the tires. Haven't done a lot of off-road yet but everything up until now they've been great. I think I paid just over $1000 for all 5 shipped.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend then $200 or $300 difference. I installed Sumitomo Light truck tire. They were awsome in handling, but did not have that agressive tire look. Loved the quiet ride the handling on the road. I sold them very cheap and purchased Nitto Grapplers MT's. God I love that agressive look, I drone from NYC to Toronto & Back. Thats when i realized they were noisy at 70 MPH ......add the soft top noise....to hear more....but now i'm getting use to the road noise. Thats why i have a ford edge for long trips.

So i spent $750 on 5 Sumitos

then $1500 on the 5 Nittos

and add a 2013 Ford Edge Limited........

Do not worry about the extra few hundreds better to get what you like and need.

I still love the Nittos......They make the JK look good.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jon85
Have you looked into the toyo at2's? i have a set of 285/75/16 and really love the tires. Haven't done a lot of off-road yet but everything up until now they've been great. I think I paid just over $1000 for all 5 shipped.
Question on the AT vs MT... I've been looking at Toyo, Nitto and Goodyear and I'm trying to figure out how they compare/where they fit in the AT vs MT category.

Is the Terra similar to the AT2 and Duratrac?
Is the Trail similar to the MT and Duratrac? (I know I put Duratrac in two different categories, can't figure which one it belongs in).
Nitto also has an MT...

I'm looking for something mostly for the road, has to be good in snow/wet and I want an aggressive looking tire. I'm leaning toward the Nitto Trail or the Duractrac... the Trail comes in a larger size not represented in the Duractrac (285/75/17).

Thoughts?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by horrocks007
Yes! Your right. I meant terra grappler.
I ran the Nitto Terra Grapplers in a 295/70/17. Very quality A/T tire. High mileage tread life, ride great both on and off road.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got 33x12.5 r15 duratracs on level 8 trackers. I'm not in love with them. They make noticeably more noise than my old factory rubicon mt tires :-/
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 12JKR
Just got 33x12.5 r15 duratracs on level 8 trackers. I'm not in love with them. They make noticeably more noise than my old factory rubicon mt tires :-/
Really? I put on 315/70/17 Duratracs in place of my stock BFG MT and I can't even notice a difference in noise if any.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1911JKU
Question on the AT vs MT... I've been looking at Toyo, Nitto and Goodyear and I'm trying to figure out how they compare/where they fit in the AT vs MT category.

Is the Terra similar to the AT2 and Duratrac?
Is the Trail similar to the MT and Duratrac? (I know I put Duratrac in two different categories, can't figure which one it belongs in).
Nitto also has an MT...

I'm looking for something mostly for the road, has to be good in snow/wet and I want an aggressive looking tire. I'm leaning toward the Nitto Trail or the Duractrac... the Trail comes in a larger size not represented in the Duractrac (285/75/17).

Thoughts?
Your description "mostly for the road, has to be good in snow/wet and I want an aggressive looking tire" sounds a lot like the good old BFG All Terrain. I really like them in the snow, on the road, and in any off-road condition except deep, nasty mud. Light mud is no problem. They're long-lasting tires too:

On a 2500 mile road trip I spent a LOT of miles on I-90 crossing Montana. Just set the cruise control on 80 mph and the tires didn't have any problem with that. It snowed on the way back through the mountains in western Montana and the Idaho panhandle, so I slowed down a bit and again, the tires did just fine. Last winter here in Washington I drove in a lot of snow, no problem. They're good all around tires. This is not the first set of BFG's I've owned over the years. Not the most aggressive tire available, they are however real good. Did I mention that they wear like iron?

Regards, CW
Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher

Really? I put on 315/70/17 Duratracs in place of my stock BFG MT and I can't even notice a difference in noise if any.
Anything over 40 or 50 mph I'm getting a pretty noticeable hum... Maybe they need to wear in a bit? I only have a few hundred miles on them. I'm hoping it gets better

Quick Reply: 32-33 inch tire advice