Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

30,000 mile service

Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 30,000 mile service

My Jeep is about to hit 30,000 miles, and I want to perform the necessary service to it.

I know what needs done, but this is my first time in doing this type of service myself. So I was hoping someone could help me with oils. This is what I have picked out:

Front/Rear Gears: 75-90 Valvoline SynPower full synthetic (autozone)

Tranny Fluid: Penzoil Syncromesh Manual Fluid (advanced auto) (Is this stuff okay since I'm not going with the mopar stuff recommended by project jk writeup?) in the write up it does say you can use Syncromesh, I just want to make sure

Transfer Case: what fluid do I use here? The writeup again on project jk says to use ATF4, but it's all automatic fluid. What to get here?? Same as tranny fluid?

While at it I was going to also clean throttle body, check oil levels (In middle of oil change so not changing it). If no oil consumed, I won't check pcv. I may run seafoam through fuel to clean stuff out.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread. I'm coming close to 30k myself.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MacBeJeepin
My Jeep is about to hit 30,000 miles, and I want to perform the necessary service to it.

I know what needs done, but this is my first time in doing this type of service myself. So I was hoping someone could help me with oils. This is what I have picked out:

Front/Rear Gears: 75-90 Valvoline SynPower full synthetic (autozone)

Tranny Fluid: Penzoil Syncromesh Manual Fluid (advanced auto) (Is this stuff okay since I'm not going with the mopar stuff recommended by project jk writeup?) in the write up it does say you can use Syncromesh, I just want to make sure

Transfer Case: what fluid do I use here? The writeup again on project jk says to use ATF4, but it's all automatic fluid. What to get here?? Same as tranny fluid?

While at it I was going to also clean throttle body, check oil levels (In middle of oil change so not changing it). If no oil consumed, I won't check pcv. I may run seafoam through fuel to clean stuff out.
Did all this recently. For the tcase is used royal purple atf4 auto tranny fluid.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't want to spend a lot of $ on royal purple even though everyone rants and raves about it. I'll be playing in water and it's not worth it spending that much if I have to change fluids a lot more often
Old 02-24-2012, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

How about coolant? How often are you guys putting in coolant and what are you using?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MacBeJeepin
I don't want to spend a lot of $ on royal purple even though everyone rants and raves about it. I'll be playing in water and it's not worth it spending that much if I have to change fluids a lot more often
Wasn't suggesting royal purple just that ATF4 was the correct fluid for your tcase. Good Luck!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would stick to Mopar brand ATF. Modern transmissions are designed with specific fluid properties in mind. By going to a non-Mopar ATF, you are possibly using something that does not meet a specific temperaure/viscosity profile or similar property. I don't know what the motivation is to use an aftermarket ATF - is it cost? If so, not worth the risk in my opinion. I also own a Nissan Titan truck. Nissan sent a nasty letter to all Nissan dealers warning them not use aftermarket ATF in customer's vehicles during service. They were seeing failures during the warranty period after the dealer serviced the trans with an aftermarket fluid. (You would think that if you took your vehicle to a dealer, they of all people would use the factory fluid - not so! I verified this with 2 local Nissan dealers!) Nissan put the dealers on notice that they will not honor warranty claims if the trans contains non-Nissan trans fluid.

Not a big stretch to see how this could apply to Jeeps as well.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therza
I would stick to Mopar brand ATF. Modern transmissions are designed with specific fluid properties in mind. By going to a non-Mopar ATF, you are possibly using something that does not meet a specific temperaure/viscosity profile or similar property. I don't know what the motivation is to use an aftermarket ATF - is it cost? If so, not worth the risk in my opinion. I also own a Nissan Titan truck. Nissan sent a nasty letter to all Nissan dealers warning them not use aftermarket ATF in customer's vehicles during service. They were seeing failures during the warranty period after the dealer serviced the trans with an aftermarket fluid. (You would think that if you took your vehicle to a dealer, they of all people would use the factory fluid - not so! I verified this with 2 local Nissan dealers!) Nissan put the dealers on notice that they will not honor warranty claims if the trans contains non-Nissan trans fluid.

Not a big stretch to see how this could apply to Jeeps as well.
Have you read the write up on project-jk where it states you can use any ATF. But what's is there a difference between auto ATF? Different kinds of ATF? Etc
Old 02-24-2012, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

ATF stands for automatic transmission fluid. As far as the number that just means what standards it meets, the higher the number the more updated to the standards, I think. There are several manual trans and transfer cases that use ATF. Some OEMs will only recommend there brand which is made by one of the big petro companies. Others will approve other brands.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
How about coolant? How often are you guys putting in coolant and what are you using?
I use Mopars HOAT. There may be and aftermarket equivalent.

For all other fluids I use Amsoil which meets or exceeds OEM standards.

Quick Reply: 30,000 mile service