Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" vs. 4" Lift question

Old 10-13-2009, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" vs. 4" Lift question

Hey all, help me out with a question please...
I have a 2 door rubi, with a 3" lift w/o flex control arms... (still have stock arms)
my question is,,,,, (other than running 37" tires) would there be a huge benefit to going to a 4" lift? would I get that much more flex? or would I be as well off getting the full flex arms for my 3" set up...
and if I did go 4" with 37's, would'nt I have the same amount of flex than with my 3" and 35's???
I can see the ground clearance benefit to running the 37's over the 35's, but what about the other issues?
Would going 4" be worth the cost????
I'm not one who is doing my mods for the "looks", I try to do the mods that will help my jeep be all it can be, so please don't just say "hey man, a 4" lift will look bad ass" or some crap, I am looking for honest info...
benefits vs. cost, 3" lift, 35's going to full flex arms , vs. 4"lift flex arms & 37's......(other than ground clearance at the diff/axle)
Thanks...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:37 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, i dont see the benefit. Yes, you would get a slightly higher breakover angle, but at the cost of a higher center of gravity. I debated the same thing when i put my 3" Teraflex kit on, i tossed back and forth between the two. Finally decided 35's was as big as I would ever go, so 3" was enough, and IMO the lift should be just high enough to allow full flex with your chosen tire size. The lower COG on off camber trails is important to me. a 4" kit for me, would have raised my COG and i wouldnt gain a thing. In fact, i had a 1" body lift on when i put the 3" kit on, and i removed it for that very reason.

Just my 2c.

Quick Reply: 3" vs. 4" Lift question