Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" Teraflex lift

Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Teraflex lift

I have a new 2011 Rubicon Unlimited, and am about ready to pull the trigger on a 3" Teraflex lift. I have asked them every question I could think of, and they keep coming back telling me the JK will ride great, and it will function with no issues. I don't want to take a new vehicle that works great, but is too darn low, and have work done on it and find out I have an ongoing nightmare due to lifting it. Any advice or comfort????
Old 11-11-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by largo
I have a new 2011 Rubicon Unlimited, and am about ready to pull the trigger on a 3" Teraflex lift. I have asked them every question I could think of, and they keep coming back telling me the JK will ride great, and it will function with no issues. I don't want to take a new vehicle that works great, but is too darn low, and have work done on it and find out I have an ongoing nightmare due to lifting it. Any advice or comfort????
There are thousands of members here that have lift thier JKs. The overwhelming majority are happy. Since you are looking at a quality company like TF your odds are very good things will be fine, that is coming from a TF customer
Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you are that worried, don't do it...

Do some searching to see the 'actual' lift height you can expect. (likely somewhere around 4", maybe 4.25") One big consideration is that you have an automatic. Lifted auto's have issues with the front driveshafts contacting the crossmember skid and the corner of the tranny. Flex and check the clearance before you take it offroad. If it is anywhere close to contacting, plan on added a new front shaft. The rear should be ok for a while.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was worried about the same thing, especially since mine is a daily driver. After 2 months of ownership, I just installed the TF 2.5" coil lift. Easy install, no alignment, no steering adjustment, lots of clearance everywhere, and it rides the same as stock.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way you wont like the ride quality is if you cut corners with a lift. First off you picked a great company to use in lifting all i can suggest to make you happy is control arms at least frt lower and rear upper, a frt track bar, and some good quality shocks I.E. Bilsteins. None of that is necessary but it all make the JK much more stable. The next thing you want to make sure of is that you get a great deal on the kit and thats where i come in...haha, no but seriously.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Teraflex 2.5" on my 2 door automatic which turns out to be an easy 3".

To prevent the front drive shaft rubbing get something like a skid row oil pan skid. It eliminates the cross brace and the plate that causes the drive shaft to rub and tear the boot. Alternatively search this site and you can see an easy way to notch the stock plate. I leave my front axle scooted over 1/2 inch to the left. I have more than fully flexed it and never touched the drive shaft.

If your lift is more like 3+ to 4 inches you will need to look at drive shafts sooner or later. And the truly right way to do it is to get a double cardan shaft. That means tilting the differentials to put them in line with the shafts. The stock jeep units will eventually give up the ghost from running too steep of an angle.

You are going to presumably get taller tires yes? That is where the axle ratios become an issue. At 37" your 4.10 gears will not be enough and you will be unhappy.

Everything else works fine on ours, the abs, the stability control. We have had the lift on for about 15k miles. I only went to 33 inch tires so while marginal my gears are livable. There is always something to upgrade to. We wheel a lot, in Colorado, have two seasons on the lift and it is an incredibly capable vehicle with the lift that easily lets us run on the highway at 65 - 70 and then wheel all day then come on home.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed a TF 3" kit on my 07 Sahara. I will try to get picks up soon but it will be next Monday at the earliest as I just left town for the weekend. I flat out love the height and stance; and the ride quality. I went with the TF spring lift, front lower adjustable arms, rear adjustable arms, and front adjustable track bar. The kit came with a rear track bar bracket, longer front brake lines, front sway bar discos, longer rear sway bar links, rear brackets for the brake lines, springs, and TF shocks. The ride is very slightly more rough than stock, but IMO feels much much better than stock. I haven't had it off road yet. I'm running 35s and am totally happy with it. I messed up and didn't do a before and after measurement on ride height, but if I had to guess I would think 3.5 inches or slightly more. I have no driveline vibrations with 7 degree caster. I got mine from David at Northridge. He worked with the pricing and I will be getting more from him in the future. I'll try to get pics up soon.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 3" Teraflex with 35's, it does ride better than stock. I just wish I got the long arm.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Follow Dawg's advice and do it. You will be happy with your choice.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by largo
Have you been down to our showroom? My coworker has a 3" under his Unlimited that you can go for ride in.

Hey all the Utahns in this thread need to join the 4 Corners section of the forum!

Quick Reply: 3" Teraflex lift