Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3 seater JK

Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 seater JK

I've been daydreaming about ditching my back seat in my JK for sometime now. I've got a 2dr 2011 and cargo space trumps rear seats. Besides, when out off-roading/camping, once you put in everyone's kit you're hard pressed to fit 4. However i've got a little girl to stow away back there for ice cream runs and such. But that got me thinking... How cool would it be to ditch the 2man couch back there and replace it with a single seat like in the front? This way there would be tons of cargo space but still remain at least a little city/family-practical.

Anyone done this or herd of this? Thoughts?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

I've never really considered it, but it'd probably be pretty cool so long as the seat was mounted properly, of course.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh for sure. I want a seat that's just as safe as the factory ones. Not that my opinion would change for others, but it's my little girl's seat to boot.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:17 AM
JK Junkie

The 4 doors have a 60-40 split in the back, I'm not sure what he 2 doors have in the back, but if you grabbed the small side of a 4 door back seat and it would leave you alot of space for cargo. I'm not sure how it would mount up
Old 02-19-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking of something similar. Finding 2 front seats from a junkyard, and installing them as captains chairs in the back. 2 seats directly behind the front 2 seats. Both with arm rests, and some reclining ability. That would be awesome.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Krawlersaur
I was thinking of something similar. Finding 2 front seats from a junkyard, and installing them as captains chairs in the back. 2 seats directly behind the front 2 seats. Both with arm rests, and some reclining ability. That would be awesome.
Lol yeah!

I'm not sure the JKU seats are a good idea. I was also thinking along your notion of using a JK front seat.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure what the space for mounting a seat is like in the back of a 2dr, but the 4dr has an unlevel rear area that the seats are mounted in. You may end up with some sort of Frankenstein if you decided not to use the rear seat from a 4dr.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SeverePatronage
I'm not sure what the space for mounting a seat is like in the back of a 2dr, but the 4dr has an unlevel rear area that the seats are mounted in. You may end up with some sort of Frankenstein if you decided not to use the rear seat from a 4dr.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

When I had my 2 door I was really wanting to build or figure out a way to do a skimp profile folding type seat that could lock in place and when you don't need it it could fold up 90 degrees to the side or something.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should try googling it since I've had better luck finding threads on the JK-Forum that way then through the built in search. I know I've come across a few threads on here of guys who have successfully done it. Think they called it a jump seat? Sorry, I didn't save any of the links, bench is out and don't need the 3rd seat.

Quick Reply: 3 seater JK