Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" Plus Lift; To control or not to control???

Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3" Plus Lift; To control or not to control???

OK, I have been reading and reading and expounding upon this subject with manufacturers and builders for months. So, please provide me with your experience, opinions and thoughts to help me make this 2 part decision for my 4 Door JK Rubicon (with lockers);

1) Do I really need a lift kit with short / long / adjustable control arms if I am using lockers? If so, which type of arm do I need and why?
***The reason I ask is because it is my understanding that the only reason you need long articulation is to try and get both of your tires on the ground in cae one is suspended due to limited articulation, but if you have lockers at least 1-3 other tires are going to be pushing or pulling you through the obstacle.

2) Based upon yuor response above which lift kit do you recommend and why?

Thank you in advance for your opinions, I hate wasting money when I can leverage someone elses experience and knowledge.

*Note, money is not really an opbject because I have already made the decision to lift the JK. My use scenario will be both road and moderate off-road (snow, mud, sand and various OHV trails throughout California). I do want to complete the Rubicon trail in my Jeep Rubicon this year!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Default Anyone...?

I really could use some suspension help with these questinos / concerns.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's talk! 1-800-837-2359 ask for Joe
Old 05-15-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by burndog
OK, I have been reading and reading and expounding upon this subject with manufacturers and builders for months. So, please provide me with your experience, opinions and thoughts to help me make this 2 part decision for my 4 Door JK Rubicon (with lockers);

1) Do I really need a lift kit with short / long / adjustable control arms if I am using lockers? If so, which type of arm do I need and why?
***The reason I ask is because it is my understanding that the only reason you need long articulation is to try and get both of your tires on the ground in cae one is suspended due to limited articulation, but if you have lockers at least 1-3 other tires are going to be pushing or pulling you through the obstacle.

2) Based upon yuor response above which lift kit do you recommend and why?

Thank you in advance for your opinions, I hate wasting money when I can leverage someone elses experience and knowledge.

*Note, money is not really an opbject because I have already made the decision to lift the JK. My use scenario will be both road and moderate off-road (snow, mud, sand and various OHV trails throughout California). I do want to complete the Rubicon trail in my Jeep Rubicon this year!!!
1. Long/short/adjustable control arms have nothing to do with having/using lockers. Long arm kits keep the control arms flatter (parallel to the ground) while providing more articulation without maxing out your suspension as quick. This makes the Jeep ride better on the street, as well as drive better off road. This is all dependent on how high you lift. The JK's have fairly long stock control arms compared to previous Jeeps. IMO long arm kits are only necessary when you want to lift higher than 5 or 6 inches.

2. I have 3" of lift and am using short control arms that are adjustable so I could dial in my suspension. If I wanted or needed to run huge tires I would have chose a long arm lift instead. Most people do not need this type of lift, even for running the Rubicon trail if that is your goal. A 3" or 4" suspension lift with 35's will make your Jeep very capable!

My suggestion to you is to start reading as much as you can on the forum cause there is a ton of info here. Read old posts as well as new ones, you will gain a lot of knowledge especially since there is so much info about lifts. Take advantage of the offer in the above post and call Teraflex and have them explain to you their professional opinions as well.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Joe,

I just tried calling you , but I am in operator hell....
Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Let's talk! 1-800-837-2359 ask for Joe
I have the TeraFlex 3" with stock control arms...It works great!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Ctimrun, what diid your lift and suspension run you = $$$

Quick Reply: 3" Plus Lift; To control or not to control???