Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3 new steering stabilizers fail in a row. Lifespan = 3 days each

Old 04-14-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 new steering stabilizers fail in a row. Lifespan = 3 days each

(See pix below)

HISTORY: I got a BDS 4.5" adjustable CA lift which came with a BDS steering stabilizer. I know the shop relocated the axle side mount.

RESULT: The first stabilizer failed in 3 days it was leaking like a siv and had a dead spot after being removed. Shop installed another one (new one but same part ). It had the same problems and lifespan. Just the other day I ordered and installed an old man emu stabilizer with the same mount locations and it also is blown and leaking bad after just a couple days post install.

QUESTION: Is there something wrong with the mounting points for each end? I have seen other mount methods compared to my setup. Other thoughts on this? Taking it back to shop next week. Thank you -Aaron

Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

The mount on the tie rod has to be in the correct location or the steering stabilizer will bottom out or over extend causing damage to the seals and ruin the stabilizer. like shocks you have to pay attention to the compressed and extended length and mount the tie rod mount in the correct location.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't tell from pics. Does the stabilizer over extend when turned?
How's the shop's reputation?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by v8zracer260z
The mount on the tie rod has to be in the correct location or the steering stabilizer will bottom out or over extend causing damage to the seals and ruin the stabilizer. like shocks you have to pay attention to the compressed and extended length and mount the tie rod mount in the correct location.
what he said
Old 04-14-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

Take that boot off (don't need it) loosen the tie rod clamp.
Turn steering wheel all the way to the passenger side. Move clamp in/out so about 1/4 of the shaft is still showing. Tighten clamp. This should give you enough travel and not keep blowing the shocks.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

RE: the shop reputation. I have not had the best experience but I haven't heard much other neg feedback. Except this weekend I heard someone mention that their SS blew our shortly after install from same shop.

Thanks on the reco about lossening the tie rod mount. Trying to weigh whether to send in the emu under warranty and then install new vs have shop look at it and install another BDS. Maybe I will just do what was said w the current bad one in place and try to see how off it is.

Ps does the angle if the SS between the frame to tie rod matter?

Thx for all advice!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 PM
JK Super Freak

The SS mounts to the axle and the tie rod not the frame. It should be mounted as parallel to the tie rod as possible.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:35 AM
JK Newbie

Yah axle is what I meant thx for catching that.

Quick Reply: 3 new steering stabilizers fail in a row. Lifespan = 3 days each