Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" lift self install - how difficult?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" lift self install - how difficult?

I am considering replacing my 2" spacer lift with a set of 3" lift springs, although i'm sure they are longer since I've never heard anyone put new springs in and have it come out only as high as the manufacturer stated.

My question is, how much more difficult will this be for me to do than the 2" spacer lift which I installed (with brother-in-law help). I also installed my front and rear adj. track bars. My concern is I recall just having enough room for the 2" spacers, (not sure if I disco'd the shocks or not, they were put on later), so what do I have to disconnect to get the axel to drop far enough. This an unlimited.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do yourself a huge favor and get a jack with the travel needed. Using the stock one with stands, SUCKS. Air/power tools is also a huge help.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:42 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

it's not difficult at all and this write-up should help you out:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

Old 01-27-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Junkie

I might suggest a spring compressor too. Autozone or some variant should rent you one out for the day.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

With the Shocks removed and sway bar disconnected I was able to get enough drop. I also had installed longer brake lines so that definitely helped. As mentioned a good jack and jack stands make this job significantly easier, if you are going to replace the control arms as well then you will need at least 4 jack stands. I checked with Autozone and they charged $10 per day with a $50 deposit for spring compressors.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

When I put in my 3" TF coils I HAD to use spring compressors. Evening with the swaybar links off and everything the limiting factor was the abs lines and brake lines. Not only do you need enough to sit the spring on the perch but you need to get around the extened bump stops/spring guide.

I had to borrow a tall (6 ton) jack stands so taht I chould get enough axle drop to begin to get the springs in.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks all. I wasn't sure about the info in projectjk since OME's sizes are vague.

Sounds like if I'm not disconecting the brake lines I'd have an easier time with a spring compressor. We have a local auto zone so I'll check them out.

2 jack stands enough if I do front then rear?
Old 01-27-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

You shouldn't need spring compressors. With everything disconnected you can drop everything down enough that they'll slide in and out.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

In addition to what the others recommended, you could also loosen the bolts on the control arms (but dont remove them) it helps in giving additional droop for the front axle...
Old 01-27-2010, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh yeah, if you've got any miles or wheeling/mudding on it, get a can of pb blaster to loosen up any stuck bolts. you'll thank me later.

Quick Reply: 3" lift self install - how difficult?