Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" Lift Recommendation Requested

Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Lift Recommendation Requested

I've been searching and reading for a couple of weeks on lifts. The time is near for an order to go in, however, I am having a very difficult time deciding which manufacturer to go with.

I am going with 35"s for my build. I have researched many of the manufacturers to review what they offer and my head is spinning!

So many choices, however, who has the better product... While I am trying to stay within a respectable budget, I understand that a quality lift is going run around $1300 or so . My requirements for this lift are as follows:
  • Must fit 35s (a given)
  • Solid Parts designed to see action!
  • Ride Quality - This rig is my DD so I would like to retain a respectable on road ride quality!
  • Customer Service from the manufacturer

Most if not all of the 3" to 3.5" systems include new springs and so on. As you go down the list the upper echelon lifts include adjustable this and adjustable that. I am NOT wanting to do a budget boost, I am looking to build my rig right from the start without going to far overboard.

I pose 2 questions to the community:

What are the recommended MUST HAVE parts that I should look for in a lift or considering adding on? i.e. Adjustable Track Bars, Adjustable Control Arms vs. Cam Bolts, Steering addons, etc.

Can anyone provide feedback on the following lifts:

Full Traction - 3" "Premium" System
Rusty's Offroad 3.25" Basic Kit
AEV / Nth Degree 3.5" Premium Suspension System with Bilstein Shocks
Rubicon Express - JK 3.5" STANDARD KIT / JK 3.5" SUPER-FLEX KIT

As always, THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Vehicle Details - Stock 2008 2 Door Rubicon w/ Automatic

Initial Build Plans:
  • Lod Front and Rear Bumpers w/ Tire Carrier
  • Warn Winch
  • 4.88 Gears

Last edited by hypractv; 08-24-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May I suggest you have a look at TeraFlex 3" Systems? We have 8 different 3" kits.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

TeraFlex,

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you briefly explain the performance characteristics and benefits of your JK Wrangler 3+” Suspension System w/ FlexArms vs. JK Wrangler 3” Suspension System w/Full FlexArm System?

Also, what other components are recommend? i.e. Adjustable TrackBars.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hypractv
TeraFlex,

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you briefly explain the performance characteristics and benefits of your JK Wrangler 3+” Suspension System w/ FlexArms vs. JK Wrangler 3” Suspension System w/Full FlexArm System?

Also, what other components are recommend? i.e. Adjustable TrackBars.

Thanks!
With 4 arms, you can set your front caster and typically the rear pinion angles. With a full Flex Arm system, your no longer limited to the stock arms lengths or lack of adjustment/flex. The 8 Arm system will allow you to extend/shorten your wheelbase also.

With either kit a rear TB bracket is included. I would add the #1753418 forged TB to either kit.

Now I see your planning on running 35's. Do you have a 2dr or a Unlimited? A TeraFlex 3" on a 2dr ends up being quite taller than 3".
Old 08-24-2009, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

The TF flex system comes with 4 flexarms (2 front, 2 rear), which is enough to allow for good front end alignement (caster, etc) and adjust your rear driveline angle. The FULL flex arm system comes with all 8 control arms.

Two weeks ago I installed the TF FULL flex arm system with shocks. I'm loving it!! I ordered their full kit but I also got an adjustable front trackbar and wheel spacers. It's basically a must to get a front adj trackbar with this high of a lift. The kit comes with a rear extention bracket so you can get away without a rear adj.

This lift is vert sold, well built, and "easy" to install. I say easy in quotes because it took my wife and I 17 hours to install but, that's just because there's a lot to do, not that anything was difficulat or had to be redone. The week after I installed it, we did the Swamp Lake Trail out of Shaver which is rated in the top 5 hardest trails on the west coast. The lift held up superb!! We did a little sliding on the front lower control arms and they just shrugged it off, again solid!

It drives like a stock jeep still.

I would highly recommend this lift but would also suggest the following: new front drive shaft and/or modified T-case skid plate. This lift gave us so much height that when the front axle is fully dropped, the front drive shaft hits the skid. Granted I have an auto. I ended up tearing the front ds boot. So I guess I'll be getting a new ds soon, yay!

Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
ent or planned
where you live
what kind of wheeling you will do (rocks, sand, mud, extreme or mild)
what kind of daily driving will you do (freeway or short commute, etc.)

Will you do the install yourself?
Do you weld?

If you had to prioritize on road vs off road handling, where would you be on the scale (or exactly in the middle)?
Planman,

I included some general details above. Below are the rest of the answers:

Where you live: NC

What kind of wheeling you will do (rocks, sand, mud, extreme or mild): Mild wheeling. NC has a mix of rocks,sand, and mud.

What kind of daily driving will you do (freeway or short commute, etc.): Both High and Around Town. Daily is around town to work. Highway to get to the 4 wheeling spots and other events.

Will you do the install yourself? Yes, I plan to.

Do you weld? No, however, a good friend does and is pretty good at it.

I would rate the onroad vs. offroad handling importance at a 60 road / 40 offroad.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

The 3 inch kit is a wonderful kit. I have the tera 3 inch kit with full flex arms. I have a decent amount of weight on the front and back and it still is standing tall.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Have the TF Full Flex 3" with all the extras. No problems, really like it.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blazer4949
Have the TF Full Flex 3" with all the extras. No problems, really like it.
x2 on the TF.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Default Dont over look

The Rancho Sport Lift !

On road manors are fantastic and no ESP issues. I have the 4" sport lift and love it ! It's my DD as well. This replaced a 4" lift kit that I had issues with , put the Rancho kit on all everything is fantastic now. I believe it's the only kit on the market to use drop brackets and retain all your stock controll arms. Rancho also states it's stock drive line friendley even at fulll disco.

Regards,
Mike.

Last edited by Goblin; 08-24-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 3" Lift Recommendation Requested