Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" lift question

Old 12-23-2007, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" lift question

Hello all, I need a little help.
I am wanting to know if i am going to have to change the drive shafts if I bump up to a 3" Teraflex. There instructions say that it MAY be required. You guys got any help on this one?
I am currently running a Teraflex 2.5" BB with 315/70/17 BFG at's with no problems. The only reason i was thinking of moving up is I have the Mopar bumper and I am gonna add a 9k winch as soon as I get time to mount it. I figured the new lift would help with the sag in the front.
If I am gonna have to change the shafts then it is not worth it to go to the bigger lift. I can simply add a set of 3" of springs to the front and gett a level stance. with the extra weight and no drive shaft hassell. Thanks

ETA: oh yeah its a 2008 unlimited so i have the longer wheel base

Last edited by COunlimited; 12-23-2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: unlimited
Old 12-23-2007, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 3" lift

I have had TF 3" lift kit on my unlimited for 8 months and have not had any trouble with the stock shafts.

I am going to TF 4" coils in the next two weeks and will be selling my 3" coils if you are interested.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:19 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have an automatic, you may have some issues with the rubber boot on the front drive shaft making contact with the auto skid plate. If you notch the skid, you might be able to get away without having any problem. A new shaft would clear it as they are typically much narrower in diameter.

EDIT: I have learned a lot since making this comment over 2 years ago and I can tell you that the front drive shaft boot tears when it makes contact with the lip of the transmission sum and NOT the skidplate. Needless to say, the notching of the skid plate will only allow you to gain a bit more droop but it will not prevent the spline shaft boot from tearing.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-12-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:43 PM
JK Freak

I have a manual. Will I have the same problem? I am going to a 3" FT Ultimate.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:06 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Heart
I have a manual. Will I have the same problem? I am going to a 3" FT Ultimate.
Nope, the manual do not have the extra skid and you will be fine. In fact, that's what I've been running for the past year and after 20,000 miles and tons of hard play, I'm still running my stock shafts and without any problems
Old 12-24-2007, 03:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
If you have an automatic, you may have some issues with the rubber boot on the front drive shaft making contact with the auto skid plate. If you notch the skid, you might be able to get away without having any problem. A new shaft would clear it as they are typically much narrower in diameter.
This is accurate. I am running the Teraflex kit with the Unlimited and auto trans. It's not really the length of the coils that causes the driveshaft contact, it's the length of the shocks allowing that much droop. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Teraflex 3" lift kit, and I have no driveshaft issues.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mini-me
I have had TF 3" lift kit on my unlimited for 8 months and have not had any trouble with the stock shafts.

I am going to TF 4" coils in the next two weeks and will be selling my 3" coils if you are interested.

I sent you a PM about the Coils. Thanks

Quick Reply: 3" lift question