Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" Lift - Problems???

Old 12-13-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Lift - Problems???

I want to lift my JK at least 3". I've heard, but can't fully remember, what some of the problems are I may encounter when lifting my JK 3" or more. I think I've heard things about the driveshaft or control arms. I was hoping you all could help me out.

Question:

-If I lift my JK at least 3", what problems may I encounter? How do I fix those problems?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2-door ? 4-door ? standard or auto ?

all of the above will affect your lifted ride...

first, with any of the lifted jk's, the higher you go the more the axles will shift to the drivers side....solution, adjustable traction bars that will allow you to recenter your axles under the Jeep body....front adjustable trac bar for sure, rear suggested or at least a relocation bracket that will correct the rear axle allowing you to use your stock rear trac bar...keep in mind however that there have been some issues regarding the brackets creating more leverage against the stock rear trac mount at the axle that has caused the welds to break at the axle...
second, as you lift your Jeep your caster will be affected which in turn will affect your steering charecteristics, with a 3" you will definately notice a 'flighty' feeling in your steering....solution, adjustable front control arms which will allow you to dial in your caster (suggested being +6 degrees), it is suggested that you use both front upper and lowers to work in conjunction with dialing in your caster, however you can get away with front lower adjustable control arms which will allow you to increase your +caster...this will in turn push your axle forward slightly so be aware
third, your brake lines, no doubt with the increase in lift your going to be stretching your lines so either get yourself some new braided longer lines, or drop brackets that will allow you to lower their mounting point on the frame rails....
new compression stops that will prevent you from over compressing your new springs....
new shocks to mate with your new lift giving you the full range of travel your gaining....
I'm no expert with the 2-doors but you'll have a conern with your driveshafts I believe at that height....4-door standard no issues at 3" of lift regarding drive shafts, 4-door auto if your starting to get over 3" of lift (which alot of the 3" lifts are known to provide) than you'll need consider replacing your front drive shaft as there will be issues with your boot tearing

hope this helps, I really have just regurgitated alot of info I've learned from this forum...that should cover most concerns, if not I'm sure others will sort me out

Last edited by BlackNorthernJK; 12-13-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

My $.02 , My Sahara 2dr with a 3.5" skyjacker kit went anywhere and everywhere with stock driveshafts for over 12k miles. Adjustable track bar would definitely benefit you. Only problem I ever had offroad was ripping off the evap canister, but who hasn't?!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks so far. I have a 2dr automatic. About the driveshaft, what's the boot? (I hope i don't sound dumb). And by replacing the driveshaft with a better/longer aftermarket one, the whole boot problem will be fixed?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KnuckleHead
Thanks so far. I have a 2dr automatic. About the driveshaft, what's the boot? (I hope i don't sound dumb). And by replacing the driveshaft with a better/longer aftermarket one, the whole boot problem will be fixed?

Thanks again everyone!
Yes the boot problem will be solved.
Get a good lift kit. That will include everything you need. Drivelines extra, if needed. I have used Terra Flex with excelent results.

The other major problem you might have is, if you fall out of your jeep, you have much further to fall.... You could really get hurt...

Sorry, you were asking about problems......
Old 12-13-2008, 10:08 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KnuckleHead
I want to lift my JK at least 3". I've heard, but can't fully remember, what some of the problems are I may encounter when lifting my JK 3" or more. I think I've heard things about the driveshaft or control arms. I was hoping you all could help me out.

Question:

-If I lift my JK at least 3", what problems may I encounter? How do I fix those problems?

Thanks!
Being that you have a 2-door and an automatic, you will want to replace your front and rear drive shafts with a u-joint style shaft sooner than later. as mentioned, at 3" or more, your front drive shaft will end up catching it's spline shaft boot on your transmission and it will get torn off the first time you go out and flex your jeep. in the rear, your CV boots will be in a constant state of pinch and this will cause them to fail prematurely. i should note that in order to install a new u-joint style shaft, you will need to get a set of adjustable rear upper control arms so that you can set your pinion angle.

another thing you should consider getting is a set of adjustable lower front control arms. at 3" of lift, you will want to add more positive caster to help keep your jeep from feeling flighty at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: 3" Lift - Problems???