Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" Lift Problems

Old 01-15-2007, 04:12 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay, I just read a post by britjk on the write-up thread that said he didn't have any problems installing his track bar relocation bracket and doesn't have any ride issues. Need I say, it looks like every JK is different just as every Jeep before it has been too.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18505#post18505

Just to make sure, those track bar bolts need to be tightend to 125 ft. lbs. of torque with the weight of the vehicle on it. The smaller bolts will only need to tightened to 45-50 ft. lbs. of torque.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-15-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Okay, I just read a post by britjk on the write-up thread that said he didn't have any problems installing his track bar relocation bracket and doesn't have any ride issues. Need I say, it looks like every JK is different just as every Jeep before it has been too.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18505#post18505

Just to make sure, those track bar bolts need to be tightend to 125 ft. lbs. of torque with the weight of the vehicle on it. The smaller bolts will only need to tightened to 45-50 ft. lbs. of torque.
Yea, I saw that too! Hopefully it was something they corrected on the brackets and everyone will have smooth sailing from now on. If it is indeed the Jeeps being all crazy with that hole location, then blah. Start sending adjustable trackbars with everything

I'm surprised they even included one on the smaller lifts though.

-E
Old 01-17-2007, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default final carnage

well alot has happened in response to this track bar relocation bracket and i am extremely suprised and upset!

last night driving home from work i got off the ramp on the highway and the jeep went into a nasty wooble... extreme shaking tires shriking the works i almost hit the rail! when i finally stopped and checked my pants, i pulled back out slowly figuring oh another damn tracking wooble. but when i got to the light i noticed my steering wasn't responding normally. i limped to the gas station about 1/2 block down and got out to take a look. appearently that last wooble was so bad that it TORE the entire track bar bracket off the axle and bent the rod on the steering stabalizer! i mean clean off the welds. of course at this point i am pissed. and stuck first thought was oh dealer, then i realized oh aftermarket suspension kit fault. long story short i limped the jeep home which was an intresting drive with the esp going nuts and the steering not responding. and this morning went to a local welding shop and had it welded back on and renforced. i just ordered a new steering stablizer (rancho) to replace the bent factory unit.
this little crappy bracket has now caused me about $200 in damage and 179 in the adjustible tracking bar i had previously ordered. to remedy the problem.

im sure most of you more experianced jeeper here may have been able to tell me that that wooble was actually this critical and dangerous but i had no idea!

needless to say i am calling my vendor and full traction to convey this experiance with there product and express my dissatisfaction.

just wanted to give my experiance and dissatisfaction to warn any others that may be facing the same trouble. if that bracket doesn't fit perfect i would just skip it and get an adjustible, better yet just opt for the adjustible from the get go or get a premium lift.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a post over in the 4" lift thread about someone who broke off their rear track bar mounts. Kinda making me nervous about mine

-E
Old 01-17-2007, 10:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xravn
well alot has happened in response to this track bar relocation bracket and i am extremely suprised and upset!

last night driving home from work i got off the ramp on the highway and the jeep went into a nasty wooble... extreme shaking tires shriking the works i almost hit the rail! when i finally stopped and checked my pants, i pulled back out slowly figuring oh another damn tracking wooble. but when i got to the light i noticed my steering wasn't responding normally. i limped to the gas station about 1/2 block down and got out to take a look. appearently that last wooble was so bad that it TORE the entire track bar bracket off the axle and bent the rod on the steering stabalizer! i mean clean off the welds. of course at this point i am pissed. and stuck first thought was oh dealer, then i realized oh aftermarket suspension kit fault. long story short i limped the jeep home which was an intresting drive with the esp going nuts and the steering not responding. and this morning went to a local welding shop and had it welded back on and renforced. i just ordered a new steering stablizer (rancho) to replace the bent factory unit.
this little crappy bracket has now caused me about $200 in damage and 179 in the adjustible tracking bar i had previously ordered. to remedy the problem.

im sure most of you more experianced jeeper here may have been able to tell me that that wooble was actually this critical and dangerous but i had no idea!

needless to say i am calling my vendor and full traction to convey this experiance with there product and express my dissatisfaction.

just wanted to give my experiance and dissatisfaction to warn any others that may be facing the same trouble. if that bracket doesn't fit perfect i would just skip it and get an adjustible, better yet just opt for the adjustible from the get go or get a premium lift.
Holy crap!! I'm glad to hear you're okay and that nobody got hurt. Just one question, did you ever install that last bolt on the relocation bracket?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by xravn

Wow ....sorry to hear that and good to hear you are ok. I know a number of folks are capable of installing their own lifts, but I am not one of them. If I had an issue with a wobble, I would not drive it again until I had an expert look at. I am hoping FT listens and accomodates you given the set back. Just ordered a FT 3" Ultimate kit and will have a reputable fab/suspension place do the work....good luck with completing the install once you get the adjustable track bar....just sux to have that happen to a brand new ride...

One thing with all these new lifts and parts on the JK, you kind of take a risk as a guinea pig being first with aftermarket manufactures, just like Jeep in the beginning with the 3 piece tops and e-disco's....seems like when something is new there are bugs to work out.

Last edited by mbrown2; 01-17-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

I would ask the same quesiton, did you ever put that last bolt in? I had a similar problem with my XJ. The front track bar relocation bracket was not lined up perfectly and when I re-drilled it and made the hole larger, it left a little slack, and no matter how tight I got it, it would eventually allow slight movement of the bracket and caused death wobble. I had to put an adjustable track bar on to finally resolve.
Also, on the rear track bar bracket you have on there, where you put a smaller bolt in, I would suspect that could be a problem as well. These things have to be very solid, with no room for error or movement, or they will cause death wobble and/or tracking/wander issues. I would suspect those brackets, either one or both, to be your problem from the beginning.

Best of Luck,
Chuck
Old 01-17-2007, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

yeah i just posted in the 4" lift section on the bolt i had installed it. that is what made me so pissed that this happened i couldn't believe it and was suprised.
i don't regret doing the lift myself i feel i learned a lot doing it about my jeep. the cost was irrelivant to me. sure hay save a few bucks and learn a bit. that was my thinking. i feel i am capable as the next guy at pushing a wrench. won't mess with stuff i have no clue about and are more precision like gears and such though
Old 01-17-2007, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

i haven't even thought about the rear bracket. thanks good suggestion to look at. the only thing i will say is that the bolt i put in was the largest that would diameter that would fit the slot the bracket the kit supplied would fit so it is tight. but it is smaller then the one that was originally there don't know if that was their intension or error? but definitetly worth taking a look. thanks
don't want the rear to do the same as the front.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm glad it will be a few months before I will even think of ordering one. I won't be home untill at least sep. next year. So I'm waiting to see all the problems that other people are having with their first run of things. Whether its the TSB for the sputtering or problems with tire fitment after a lift, track bar issues, etc. I'm glad you guys are willing to go first when others aren't.

Quick Reply: 3" Lift Problems