Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" Lift plus 35's = Driveline issues???

Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my lift got me over 4inches. no shaft issues.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberbrain
my lift got me over 4inches. no shaft issues.
have you tried flexing your jeep's suspension on the trail yet? if so, check your front drive shaft boot - it WILL be torn as it WILL hit your auto transmission sump pan. there is no exception to the rule.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

So what about 3" of lift and 35"s on a 2dr?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by HahaJK
So what about 3" of lift and 35"s on a 2dr?
Your double screwed, Like WOL said with the auto the front boot will get torn on your driveshaft.

Since you have SWB your rear shaft will need to be replaced after time. You might get several thousands of miles out of it, or it might blow up tommorrow.

Depends how much you wheel, how well your rear pinion is lined up to transfercase.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:18 AM
JK Freak

what if it is a 2.5inch lift on a 2 door 6 spd, is there going to be torn drive shafts and shafts needed to be replaced with time?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
have you tried flexing your jeep's suspension on the trail yet? if so, check your front drive shaft boot - it WILL be torn as it WILL hit your auto transmission sump pan. there is no exception to the rule.

Yep, she has flexed a few times.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
what if it is a 2.5inch lift on a 2 door 6 spd, is there going to be torn drive shafts and shafts needed to be replaced with time?
up front, you will definitly NOT get a torn boot as this is not a problem with 6-speeds even at 4" of lift. in the rear, the angle your drive shaft will be in will be steep but not enough to pinch the CV boot too much. you should be fine here for a for quite a while - maybe not as long as if it were still sitting at stock height, but a long time.

Originally Posted by cyberbrain

Yep, she has flexed a few times.
no offense but that really doesn't look like a whole lot of flex to me and maybe about as much as you might see if you didn't disconnet your swaybar links. if you are not disconnecting your sway bar links when off roading or have front shocks that are on the short side, this will prevent you from obtaining enough droop to cause your axle to swipe over and make contact with your auto tranny.

just so that it's 100% clear, IF you have an automatic with 3" of lift or more, with shocks long enough to give you greater flex and you wheel your jeep with the swaybar links disconnected as you should, your front drive shaft WILL make contact with your auto tranny and it WILL tear the spline shaft boot. there is NO exception to the rule here. how sure of this am i? just do a search and you will see this is a common problem. also, i have a corner of my garage stacked with about half a dozen front drive shaft boots that have been torn. why do i have these? because i've helped about half a dozen people change out their front drive shafts after tearing this boot. need i say, i am speaking from experience here and NOT expressing an opinion.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

you should really take a look at the rustys 3.25 lift for the jk. Its the lift im going to go with and from what iv polled from all the rustys users on the forums there customer service and product quality is outstanding. You get front and rear adj track bars springs and shocks for 550.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

I am a trail rider / offroadert that for the Florida flatlands that I ride have never disconnected my sway bar. I installed a Black Diamond 2" spacer kit and currently run 33" tires. I have an automatic transmission and am considering running 35" tires. Judging by this thread, I am guessing that I would be ok with the factory front shaft. Is this correct?

Last edited by rjmcam; 11-18-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by rubican!
you should really take a look at the rustys 3.25 lift for the jk. Its the lift im going to go with and from what iv polled from all the rustys users on the forums there customer service and product quality is outstanding. You get front and rear adj track bars springs and shocks for 550.
it has been my experience that most owners of a specific lift kit will have nothing but rave reviews of it and that's great. however, i just want to make sure that you are aware of the fact that this basic starter lift kit ONLY comes with 3.25" coils, basic hydro shocks and adjustable front and rear track bars. so far as i know, there are no bumpstop extensions provided and no rear brake line extention brackets and both of these are things that most quality 2.5" budget boosts provide and are something i would recommend. now, while the addition of adjustable front and rear track bars is nice, this kit offers nothing to address your caster and at 3"+ of lift, adding more caster is something that a vast majority of people i know want as it will help to correct for flighty steering at highway speeds. of course, i would recommend the use of adjustable front lower control arms to do this as opposed to the use of cam bolts. if you go with this kit, i would highly recommend that you add these items to your list of things you need to get.

Quick Reply: 3" Lift plus 35's = Driveline issues???