Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" Lift + coil spacer....

Old 01-01-2014, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Lift + coil spacer....

Hello !!

Quick question, I want to have your opinion on the following setup, I already have a 3" lift(zone offroad), I added front bumper and winch, so 3" lift lokk more as 2" lift now ! I maybe plan to add coils spacers to have more space, planning also to pass from 35 to 37" tire. I know that the best way would be to put a 4 or 4.5 lift kit, but it's to expensive for the moment.. :/ and I would need to replace drving shaft shortly. So, question is if I keep my already 3" lift and add a coil spacer , which maximum size could I use, 1,75" ? 1.25" ? 1" ? to not break my driving shaft prematurely.

thanks !
Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

also, what about control/long arm, if I go over 3", like 4" or 4.5", even if I use coil spacer or a new real suspension lift, is it recommanded/suggested to have control arm/long arm ? Or with 4 -4.5" it's ok with stock arm ?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

The best thing to do would be to buy new heavy duty springs that won't sag. I would not recommend a spacer, but a 1" would be a temporary fix.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DannyMalkin
The best thing to do would be to buy new heavy duty springs that won't sag. I would not recommend a spacer, but a 1" would be a temporary fix.
Good idea for the spring, could I put a spring a bit taller from the one I have, as one fo a 3.5" lift example ?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Junkie

Lots of people run spacers on top of lift springs. I just installed a set of 1" on top my 3.5" lift this morning do to a full width steel bumper, a 10,500 lbs winch and highlift jack all mounted up front cause about an 1" drop. $41 for teraflex shipped from quadratec and an hour job and back to good
Old 01-01-2014, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

So, question is if I keep my already 3" lift and add a coil spacer , which maximum size could I use, 1,75" ? 1.25" ? 1" ? to not break my driving shaft prematurely.
There is no magic number that says at x.xx" lift you will lose a driveshaft, but at y.yy" lift it will be ok. At your current height, you are already shortening the life of those joints. There are too many variables for anyone to say when, or even if, you'll have a problem, but common sense says that as you go taller, the odds get worse.

I don't know the components in that lift, but as you move up to 4" or beyond, you need to start thinking about investing in a drag link flip. And of course if you don't already have them, adjustable arms and trackbars, longer brake lines, taller bumpstops, longer links, etc, etc. Going to a taller suspension (either adding spacers or going to taller coils) is definitely an option, just do your homework so you aren't blindsided by a bunch of extra expenses.

When you move to 37's, have you considered just chopping the flares or getting flats instead of going taller?

Also, there is a good lift thread sticked at the top of this section, and also some FAQ's with a lot more good info.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-01-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks you guys for information ! I'll go for a short term solution and add 1 inch coils spring spacer rear and front.
As I see on video showing how to install it, it's quiet simple, but is there specila thing I need to know when I'll install it, and after... like Wheel Alignment example ?

Thanks again !
Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Also... on the same time I'll swap my stock steering stabilizer for the "9550 TeraFlex HD steering stabilizer", I didn't have any problem so far with my 35" tire but don't want to wait to have problem as death wobble..

Comment ?!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by karlos
Thanks you guys for information ! I'll go for a short term solution and add 1 inch coils spring spacer rear and front.
As I see on video showing how to install it, it's quiet simple, but is there specila thing I need to know when I'll install it, and after... like Wheel Alignment example ?

Thanks again !
Hey Karlos,
Do wheel alignment yourself. Project-JK write up.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would also Recommend to torgue everything to spec. Torgue setting on Project-JK as well.

Quick Reply: 3" Lift + coil spacer....