Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" Dual exit Cat-back exhaust

Old 04-14-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A'sJK
Muffler location is difference. Also the closer the muffler is to the rear affects sound. Why not buy a round dynomax, magnaflow, aero, etc. and have a muffler shop weld it on for you in the high tuck location? You will come out cheaper buy half. This is what I did...aero 2525xl and stock resonator behind it to quiet it up. Welds usually cost only $15 a connection. Just some suggestions. There isnt a consensus on sound preferences, only that performance wont be improved as some advertise.
I did this twice and still ended up buying a kit. If you haven't seen the work from the exact person that is doing it you may end up like me with a junk exhaust system. I took it to the shops that everyone recommended and after $100 wasted I bought the AFE system. Not to say this will happen but you have to consider it if your not familiar with the person doing the work.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had the AFE high tuck 2.5 cat back with the 22" muffler on for about 6 months. Although it did sound great i wanted to tame it down for long road trips. I had a muffler shop install a vibrant ultra quiet resonator after the muffler (before the axle) last month and I am very happy. Same angry tone but 25% less volume.

on a 2012 3.6L auto.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by A'sJK
Muffler location is difference. Also the closer the muffler is to the rear affects sound. Why not buy a round dynomax, magnaflow, aero, etc. and have a muffler shop weld it on for you in the high tuck location? You will come out cheaper buy half. This is what I did...aero 2525xl and stock resonator behind it to quiet it up. Welds usually cost only $15 a connection. Just some suggestions. There isnt a consensus on sound preferences, only that performance wont be improved as some advertise.
i like the welding idea but im more for the DIY type of mods. Something about doing all the work myself is a little more appealing. also, i dont know/trust any of the welding shops in my area (toronto ontario).

Originally Posted by Dahmer
I did this twice and still ended up buying a kit. If you haven't seen the work from the exact person that is doing it you may end up like me with a junk exhaust system. I took it to the shops that everyone recommended and after $100 wasted I bought the AFE system. Not to say this will happen but you have to consider it if your not familiar with the person doing the work.
Originally Posted by twoxstreem
I have had the AFE high tuck 2.5 cat back with the 22" muffler on for about 6 months. Although it did sound great i wanted to tame it down for long road trips. I had a muffler shop install a vibrant ultra quiet resonator after the muffler (before the axle) last month and I am very happy. Same angry tone but 25% less volume.
on a 2012 3.6L auto.
By the looks and sounds of it, ill probably end up going with the AFE Hi-Tuck RB. the price is nice (no different than the XP), and that way when i decide to start mudding, ill already have the extra clearance.

thanks a ton guys!!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dahmer
Dynos show that the dual exhaust actually lost power compared to the same model single on the JK. I have the AFE high tuck 2.5 it fits great and sounds as good as a 3.8 v6 can. I really couldn't ask for more.
I agree with the loss of power from the DynoMax dual exit. I put it on my 2013 JK and had a noticeable power loss. And there is a drone up to 2500 rpms, plus the clamps for the tips don't clamp tight enough (I ended up welding the tips on).

Good luck with your search and I hope this helped some. And welcome to the forum.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USMC20yrs
I agree with the loss of power from the DynoMax dual exit. I put it on my 2013 JK and had a noticeable power loss. And there is a drone up to 2500 rpms, plus the clamps for the tips don't clamp tight enough (I ended up welding the tips on).

Good luck with your search and I hope this helped some. And welcome to the forum.
Here's an update to my experience with the DynoMax dual exit; in addition to the power loss (equal to the power gained from my K&N cold air intake) I also have a 1.7 MPG loss. I will be going back to my stock muffler this weekend. It may be heavier, bigger, and not as much sound; but loss of power and MPG gained over the DynoMax, I can live with that.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

USMC20yrs,

Which dual did you have on there? The 39510 or the 35928? I have the 39510 on one of my Jeeps right now. I really haven't noticed the big of an impact in gas mileage. If anything it's from putting the foot in the gas more than I did with the stock.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by imacb278
USMC20yrs,

Which dual did you have on there? The 39510 or the 35928? I have the 39510 on one of my Jeeps right now. I really haven't noticed the big of an impact in gas mileage. If anything it's from putting the foot in the gas more than I did with the stock.
Not so here; I was careful to drive normally and hit my shift points in order to give it an honest evaluation. Since I have gone back to my stock system, the power level and the MPGs have come back. Also, I have the 39510.

Quick Reply: 3" Dual exit Cat-back exhaust