Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3" Coil Lift - Need Legit Advice

Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Coil Lift - Need Legit Advice

Question:

-What are the disadvantages of getting a 3" lift kit that only includes the coils?

-If I get the 3" kit that is coils only (of course I would buy a front/rear adj. track bar), how are my control arms affects? How is my offroading affected? How will my JK handle on the street, highway and turning?

Thanks!

Please list any comments and suggestions you may have on this. I really want to get the Full Traction 3" economy kit that is the coils only and then get the JKS front and rear adjustable track bars. But know this, I am a young guy with very very little money. I ain't rich. But I love my JK and I love offroading. So I need to be inexpensive, but still affective. Also I already have Rubicon Express 2" puck spacers that I want to get rid of.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you have a two door, you really should consider getting a new rear drive shaft sooner than later. and, to do that, you really need to get adjustable rear upper control arms so that you can set your pinion angle. now, while you would be perfectly fine without any adjustable front control arms, a lot of people find that the steering at highway speeds is somewhat 'flighty' and the only real way to address this is by adding more positive caster. in other to do this, you will need at the very least, a set of adjustable lower control arms up front. along the the lines of a 3" lift, if you have an automatic, you will tear off your front drive shaft boot when flexing and so you will need to get an aftermarket u-joint style shaft as they are much narrower. aside from that, you really don't need anything else and you should be good to go.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you have a two door, you really should consider getting a new rear drive shaft sooner than later. and, to do that, you really need to get adjustable rear upper control arms so that you can set your pinion angle. now, while you would be perfectly fine without any adjustable front control arms, a lot of people find that the steering at highway speeds is somewhat 'flighty' and the only real way to address this is by adding more positive caster. in other to do this, you will need at the very least, a set of adjustable lower control arms up front. along the the lines of a 3" lift, if you have an automatic, you will tear off your front drive shaft boot when flexing and so you will need to get an aftermarket u-joint style shaft as they are much narrower. aside from that, you really don't need anything else and you should be good to go.
Yep! I learned this the hard way. Not only did it tear the boot, it rubbed against the tranny pan enough to break the seal and tear up the edge so that it was leaking pretty good. Sound advice here from wayoflife!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

WayofLife...I am now officially scared.

So what do you suggest I do, in regards to keeping my lift inexpensive but still affective and not hurt my JK?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:40 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KnuckleHead

So what do you suggest I do, in regards to keeping my lift inexpensive but still affective and not hurt my JK?
is it safe to assume that you do have a 2-door and an auto?

if cost is an issue, i would recommend that you just do something like a teraflex 2.5" budget boost. it's cheap, will get you up on 35's and comes with pretty much everything you need to make it work.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Teraflex 2.5" coil lift. It will give you close to 3" and nothing else is needed right a way.

It's less than$600 with shocks.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
JK Freak

Here's my advice... Keep your coil spacers and get a 1" body lift and some new, longer shocks. The body lift won't affect your driveline angles, steering geometry, ride, or handling. The 2" spacers won't cause any problems requiring new driveshafts and such.

I assume you want to be able to clear 35s? Here's a pic of the setup I described with 35" KM2s. It's sort of a big picture, so I'll just post a link.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...K/DSC01071.jpg

Old 10-02-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is it possible to purchase just the font coils for the 2.5" coil lift? I originally ot a BB lift but now that I've added weight to the front, the front end droops so much. I feel like I'm driving a scoop shovel. I'd like to get it to level out. I've seen pepolpe add the leveling pucks, but that would be like 3 up front which makes me nervous. Any advice?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Lanster
Is it possible to purchase just the font coils for the 2.5" coil lift? I originally ot a BB lift but now that I've added weight to the front, the front end droops so much. I feel like I'm driving a scoop shovel. I'd like to get it to level out. I've seen pepolpe add the leveling pucks, but that would be like 3 up front which makes me nervous. Any advice?
I'm pretty sure you can buy any TeraFlex part separately. Send Joe a PM and he'll set you up.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZ-JK
Yep! I learned this the hard way. Not only did it tear the boot, it rubbed against the tranny pan enough to break the seal and tear up the edge so that it was leaking pretty good. Sound advice here from wayoflife!
Hey AZ-JK,
You tore your DS boot just with a 2.5" coil lift? Which new DS did you add?

Quick Reply: 3" Coil Lift - Need Legit Advice