Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.8L Turbo kit

Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who is good buddies with a top notch very well known tuner in Illinois. I showed him the Ripp blower kit and is willing to get me the blower, make the brackets and do a custom tune if I let him install it. Gonna meet with him end of month to see what we are talking about as far as pricing. He is actually very good friends with the owner of vortech from back in the day.
Lucky me I guess...
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NH-JK
All the hookers I've dealt with have had track marks, missing teeth and warrants!
Hope you double bagged it!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti

Lighten up dude, I was joking around but serious at the same time.

But all I was stating is, its not over priced. Its business.

As someone who owns a medium sized business, I can attest that their prices are within reason to sustain a profitable business. If you want something cheaper these days, its not going to happen.

4 years ago was enough time to raise the prices on everything. I myself have increased my labor prices by 15% over the last 4 years just to stay in business. Shits not getting cheaper for anyone and the consumer is always thinking that everything is too much. Well in fact if you owned the business that was making these kits, you would come to realized that they are probably selling them at a margin that will keep them in business and make a profit. Who the hell wants to make something and sell it to someone for peanuts. When you actually own a business that offers a product or service, you are going to sell it for what is profitable or why bother making it or offering it?

Everything is over priced from a consumer standpoint. Just try being on the other end of the stick. Sure you can buy a turbo for $500. But who the hell is going to pay the team of people who spent hours tuning it and designing it? I can tell you that I have put together several turbo setups for motorcycles that cost well into $3500 my cost. Selling them for $6000 installed is not overpriced considering all of my expenses to operate.

Supply and demand. There is probably a small handful of people who are going to FI a JK. I really don't think they are going to stay in business giving away a product to a specialized market. More demand = lower prices. Hence why Mustangs and Cameros will always have lower prices on hop up parts. The market is flooded with it and more people are hopping up those engines than people crawling malls with Wranglers.

There are probably only maybe 2000 Jeep JKs with FI on them. There are 10s of 1000s supercharged/turbocharged Mustangs on the planet. If you are selling more of them, you can sell them for less.
Man you stole my thunder. I use to own my own business for five years and back then I use to run on 30-35% mark up on parts. Labor was labor. Jk are a niche market and mustangs are a dime a dozen. They will sell more, less markup and the Wrangler kits will be much more. People have no idea what I pads cost to make but people are beating down Apple stores and throwing their money down no questions asked. Guaranteed the mark up is more then 70%. Don't believe me check there stock. Apple is one of the most profitable companies in the world. Everyone is in business to make a profit and knowone has the right to say how much you should be allowed to make. ok I'm tired and going to sleep.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by T&ERun

http://www.turbohorsepower.com/3vgtprice.html
http://peregrineperformance.com/05-0...g%20Single.htm
http://peregrineperformance.com/94-95%20Mustang.htm
http://www.z1motorsports.com/product...oducts_id=1081

My mustang days were only about 4 years ago so don't act like it was ages ago. There are still kits out there that are very reasonable. Yes, you will find Mustang and Camaro kits for 6-7K, but those are twin kits, with much more hardware usually including h pipes and high flow cats. Most kits are WAY over priced. You can buy a turbo charger for $500. I don't want to get into a shooting match here. I was simply stating it is over priced and it is. For the size of turbos and no headers it's over priced.
No offense but 4 years ago in the automotive world is a long time ago. 4 years ago the jk was new it had just hit the Market. Now the jk has already gone through a new interior and some exterior change sand a whole new driveline. If 4 years was nothing the jk would still be unchanged. 4 years can make a world of a difference in the automotive world. Even in the mustang world. I'm sure when the new 5.0 engine came out for the mustang I'm sure the parts were expensive. I bet now they are coming down in price. The only thing with the jk is that it's not a performance car. So speed or horsepower is not the first thought. Making it go offload well is. Where as a mustang or camaro that's the first thought, how can I make it faster. There are as many turbo kits for those cars as there are lift kits for jeeps.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok. I get the point. That being said, it looks like a nice kit. Seems to have everything needed too. I hope, for all our sakes, that this company does well and sells many kits. I love turbos personally.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah it looks solid for sure. After doing some heavy thinking late night alone in my living room looking at my few options I think the best thing for the JK is a supercharger. I love turbo's more then anyone and been screaming for one but for everyday useable power the blower is the way to go. I will save my Turbo's for my sports cars I guess....
Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blkjkchicago

Hope you double bagged it!
Nope!!!!, just rubber gloves and stainless steel bracelets!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blkjkchicago
Yeah it looks solid for sure. After doing some heavy thinking late night alone in my living room looking at my few options I think the best thing for the JK is a supercharger. I love turbo's more then anyone and been screaming for one but for everyday useable power the blower is the way to go. I will save my Turbo's for my sports cars I guess....
I like the turbo but if it were going on mine It'd come down to price and I believe the ripp sc is something like $4500 which is almost a grand less than this and a supercharger is easier to install than a turbo IMO. Thats what I'd be looking at. Although for those 2011 guys there is no other kit out there yet except one I believe which I don't like the way it tunes. Thats just me though.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:59 AM
JK Newbie

Well I went down yesterday and met the owner and was able to drive one of there turbo'd jeeps. They look like a first class operation and the installs ( looked at two jeeps and they were doing a install on a third ) were nice and clean looking.

The jeep drove just like normal until you got around 3100 rpms then you could feel the power. I wish the turbos were on a older model jk because now I really like the interior of the new jeep! ( thinking 2012 ).

My only concern is my lifted rubion still has the 410's with 35 MTR's and when crusing down the road at 60 plus I am only turning around 2k rpms give or take and as noted I think it will be an improvement but by how much? Now I have to decide which route I want to take, new jeep or turbo!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NJRRUBI
Well I went down yesterday and met the owner and was able to drive one of there turbo'd jeeps. They look like a first class operation and the installs ( looked at two jeeps and they were doing a install on a third ) were nice and clean looking.

The jeep drove just like normal until you got around 3100 rpms then you could feel the power. I wish the turbos were on a older model jk because now I really like the interior of the new jeep! ( thinking 2012 ).

My only concern is my lifted rubion still has the 410's with 35 MTR's and when crusing down the road at 60 plus I am only turning around 2k rpms give or take and as noted I think it will be an improvement but by how much? Now I have to decide which route I want to take, new jeep or turbo!
when you say it drove normal unless 3100, was it turbo lag, or something else? 3100 seems pretty high. Again, really brings a new meaning to "bump it"

Quick Reply: 3.8L Turbo kit