Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.8L Turbo kit

Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaleJK4x4

Just seems like a lot to put down for something that isn't proven and could be crap? @ cost may be worth it...IDK.
Well since your not local idk if I'd want to do an exp,erimental product. I'm sure they would fix any defective parts but then you'd need to be local to bring the vehicle in. The turbo is a nice turbo(Garrett). Other than that it's a workmanship thing as far as the welds and the fitment. The tune should be on before the vehicle leaves.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Being an R&D vehicle the main thing I would worry about is the tuning. Has the tuning been perfected and all they are using your vehicle for is testing out their final production run to make sure everything fits as they designed it? Or are they planning to use your car to tune the package? If you have a good tuner it wouldn't be an issue, but there are way too many wanna-be tuners out there blowing engines while tuning. With my car I had a well known company do a custom one-off tune for me but it wasn't a problem because they knew what they were doing. Before signing up for the free instal I would find out about the tuning and how many miles they planned to put on it in that week. Also I would find out how many dyno runs they planned to do and what other things they planned on doing to "test" the product. I don't mind abusing my vehicles but I hate when someone else does.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

I also recieved an e-mail and a phone call and spoke with the owner for a long time this afternoon. Same deal as Scott but I asked alot of questions as I have procharged a vette and STS turboed a viper truck with not very good results on either all related to tuning.

He answered all my questions and offered for me to come down and drive his Jeep with the turbo and see the quaility of the parts/install. He says they have 4 of 5 jeeps running this setup since 09 with over 50k miles with no problems except with the auto trans. ( to much boost and the trans is not happy ) They are currently running tests to see what the hp/tq numbers will be with less boost so that the trans will live.

I am going to try and run down to his shop in the next couple of days so I can see/drive his jeep and make the decision if I want to spend 5500. on this or 13k on a 2012. I hope I was accurate on this info but it is what I remember and as you get older you can't remember ?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
Good luck with that. I have been doing my own R&D with the auto trans and not by choice

I have in the last year torn down and rebuilt two of the 42RLE units found in our rigs.

1) It is a POS
2) Its is a POS
3) It is a POS

Need I say anything more?

But failure one was probably caused by an over powered torque converter clutch which in turn caused the torque converter not to lock up. Ever. This in turn generated a lot of heat which in turn caused the fluid to loose its ability to keep pressure up and it ate the OD input clutches and the 2-4 holding clutches.

Transmission number two appeared to have and OK torque converter although there has been signs of it getting a bit overpowered, it was in fact still functioning and locking up. However this time the UD clutch pack was toast and so was the 1-3 clutch holding pack. All of the seals were still good and in fact they were holding pressure when pressure tested. This means that there was not enough pressure being generated in the lines. And since the pump was in 100% perfect factory tolerances and still operational, it will go to show that low line pressure and large amounts of torque being pumped through things unit will cause destructive slippage. Under 2000 RPM you are not generating the same pressure in the lines that you are at 3000 RPM or more.

Just to let you automatic guys know, the clutch friction disks in a 1300cc Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle are 15% larger than the ones found in the 42RLE. That motorcycle makes 155RWHP and 98ftlbs of torque at the wheels. Way to go DCX the Japanese once again out engineerd you!
Well it looks like im gonna have to send my auto to level 10 for some upgrading. This kinda sucks. Im doing the math and it looks like a 9k upgrade between the FI and trans work. F... Me
Old 01-31-2012, 02:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blkjkchicago

Well it looks like im gonna have to send my auto to level 10 for some upgrading. This kinda sucks. Im doing the math and it looks like a 9k upgrade between the FI and trans work. F... Me
At that cost you might as well start looking at a 2012.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Redman333
At that cost you might as well start looking at a 2012.
you speak the truth.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by damon.l

you speak the truth.
Well the way I see it is if the cost of the kit and supporting mods is more than $8k than I'd consider just upgrading to the 2012. At that point you are going to put that money into the vehicle and then if something breaks you have to pay to fix that and it can quickly add up to over $10k I. Upgrade costs when you could have just bought a 2012 and had close to the same power and a warrantee.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Better yet look at the ls swap. With kit and a 5.3l 4l80 junkyard by you could prob get away with 8500 labor your self. Get a better built chevy motor and not have to worry about the warrantee of the 12. If jeep proves anything the build an awesome idea with crap parts so give it time and the 12 buyers will be bitchin. The hemi can push 10-12 with personal time an get worse mileage the 5.3 gives you in between horsepower with better mileage.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Let me add this is my fourth jeep and wouldn't trade the flexibilty and capability for nothing but the chevy ls motors are better. Hell even the 4.3 chevy is popular swaps for cjs and yj as well as the sbc.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dblaron
Let me add this is my fourth jeep and wouldn't trade the flexibilty and capability for nothing but the chevy ls motors are better. Hell even the 4.3 chevy is popular swaps for cjs and yj as well as the sbc.
Do you have an LS engine in your jk

Quick Reply: 3.8L Turbo kit