Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.8L Turbo kit

Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put an LS in it and be done with it...check out the U-Tube clips of the LS-3 swaps...Holy Shizzzzz that is awesome
Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RichN
Wait, so, you're telling me the pistons, rods, and crankshaft aren't forged? Cast engine internals form China rule!!!
FWIW i have a supercharged BMW running high boost for the last 40,000 with no problems. The internals are stock and are cast as well. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison but not having forged internals does not mean you can't or shouldn't boost. Forged internals are great for high boost applications, and definitely take more abuse, but are not necessary. When I get more of my jeep paid off I am definitely boosting it.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

i personally love turbos. but like everyone said, forced induction in a 3.8 is still kind of new when you look at the big picture.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Redman333
Well I don't know about this setup but if you properly select a turbo to the application your running a turbo will be plenty useful. I think I'd have to see a dyno sheet to see where the useable power is on this setup

See above, also as far as spool times. A Porsche 911 is a twin turbo 3.6 v6 and has full horsepower and torque at 1500rpms. Granted this a completely different beast however just to prove not all turbo systems have lag. You just have to match the turbo to the platform and the purpose of the vehicle. One thing to note also gents, these turbo setups will also give you a nice bump in mpgs on the hwy since it won't have to work as hard and when your cruising the engine won't have to want for oxygen at all and unlike a supercharger there will be nearly zero drain on the engine to run the turbo.
Ummm last time I checked Porsche builds flat six engines not V6's. Love turbos over superchargers any day of the week
Old 01-29-2012, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

One question about turbo and superchargers.
Do we also need to exchange some of the engine's components such as gaskets, bearings, etc? I imagine that with higher pressure in the combustion chambers the mechanical stress will be higher on the pistons, hence crankshaft, gaskets and so on.
What is done about that?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 AM
JK Freak

Hey Bud,

hat 3.8L turbo Kit did you use?

I am keen to explore this as well
Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blkjkchicago
Love turbos over superchargers any day of the week
ding ding. free power > parasitic power.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blkjkchicago

Ummm last time I checked Porsche builds flat six engines not V6's. Love turbos over superchargers any day of the week
Haha true your right, flat 6s not v6. I knew that lol.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
One question about turbo and superchargers.
Do we also need to exchange some of the engine's components such as gaskets, bearings, etc? I imagine that with higher pressure in the combustion chambers the mechanical stress will be higher on the pistons, hence crankshaft, gaskets and so on.
What is done about that?
Every engine is different. Some engines need more modifications than others when it comes to adding boost. I boosted a completely stock block 350z and put 90k miles on it before I put 4 holes in the block from the connecting rod finally letting go. That was an all aluminum block the 3.8 is an iron block which will make it a little more rigid but the connecting rods and crank still can give up. It's really hard to say. I've never seen the inside of a 3.8 so I can't really say whether it looks to be strong or not. Has anyone here ever torn one down that can post some pics up. Then we can see what the rods and crank look like.

Here's my theory when it comes to adding major horsepower like a turbo or supercharger if you can't afford to rebuild a blown engine don take the chance. Especially on a non factory turbo charged vehicle.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olsen185

FWIW i have a supercharged BMW running high boost for the last 40,000 with no problems. The internals are stock and are cast as well. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison but not having forged internals does not mean you can't or shouldn't boost. Forged internals are great for high boost applications, and definitely take more abuse, but are not necessary. When I get more of my jeep paid off I am definitely boosting it.
You can't really compare a bmw engine to a Chrysler engine lol

Quick Reply: 3.8L Turbo kit