Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.8L Turbo kit

Old 01-28-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca
I live nearby and have emailed them, if I hear anything I will post up.

I would actually like to take a ride by their facility to see what they are doing firsthand, and maybe take some pics. Unfortunately, there is no physical address on their site...
Prodigy Performance
3141 Fairlane Farms Rd
Wellington, FL 33414

(561) 790-3540
Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tails
Maybe off topic - I can't imagine what you people have against turbo's.
Most of the best off road vehicles in the world use turbochargers. Mercedes-Benz G-wagen, Land Rover Defender and Discovery (LR3), Toyota Land Cruiser. I know these vehicles all do deep water crossings from time to time and have never heard of a turbo issue.
Granted, these are all diesels, but a turbo is a turbo.
I don't think anybody really has anything against them. I personally don't I actually prefer them over a supercharger. My problem with the STS turbo is the location of the turbo. Those turbo charged off-road vehicle you talk about are their turbos mooted under the vehicle or in the engine bay? I'm not familiar with any of them so I am seriously asking. I assume if they are diesels though they are probably mounted right on the exhaust manifold in the engine bay.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

well TDI seems like a pretty proven system, my only question would be, for those of us who offroad, wont the turbo lag make for really weird driving? or even just the turbo jump in general when you're in 4low? for sand and mud, i bet its a blast. but what about when you're crawling, or in general doing any type of new england wheeling? the thought of a turbo in that situation scares me
Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sneck
well TDI seems like a pretty proven system, my only question would be, for those of us who offroad, wont the turbo lag make for really weird driving? or even just the turbo jump in general when you're in 4low? for sand and mud, i bet its a blast. but what about when you're crawling, or in general doing any type of new england wheeling? the thought of a turbo in that situation scares me
Unless you are at 3k + rpm with your foot hard in the throttle, you won't even notice the turbo besides the noise it might make.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse, but the 3.8's internals just arent designed for super or turbo chargers. They work, but for how long? $5k for a turbo/super charger that WILL destroy the motor eventually or spend a little more and get a Hemi or even an LS that will handle all you give it. I do like a turbo, in toyota MR2.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKcondrey
Not to beat a dead horse, but the 3.8's internals just arent designed for super or turbo chargers. They work, but for how long? $5k for a turbo/super charger that WILL destroy the motor eventually or spend a little more and get a Hemi or even an LS that will handle all you give it. I do like a turbo, in toyota MR2.
seems to be that the 3.8 is actually pretty tough and can take decent boost, the weak leak being the transmission in every failure case.

at least thats what ive read everywhere. i personally would prefer boosting the 3.8 for a little extra on ramp and merging power for 5 grand over 20 grand for a hemi swap. id much rather dump the rest of that money into suspension and wheels / tires.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

No a hemi or ls swap or any kind of swap for that matter is way more expensive. The engine alone if your lucky and shop around will be at least $5k. Then there is a whole lot more you have to worry about. It's not a go out a buy the engine and it bolts in kind of deal. If your good enough and can handle the swap I bet you might be able to get a swap done for under $7k but most will not want to do that.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by highoctane

Unless you are at 3k + rpm with your foot hard in the throttle, you won't even notice the turbo besides the noise it might make.
Well I don't know about this setup but if you properly select a turbo to the application your running a turbo will be plenty useful. I think I'd have to see a dyno sheet to see where the useable power is on this setup

Originally Posted by sneck
See above, also as far as spool times. A Porsche 911 is a twin turbo 3.6 v6 and has full horsepower and torque at 1500rpms. Granted this a completely different beast however just to prove not all turbo systems have lag. You just have to match the turbo to the platform and the purpose of the vehicle. One thing to note also gents, these turbo setups will also give you a nice bump in mpgs on the hwy since it won't have to work as hard and when your cruising the engine won't have to want for oxygen at all and unlike a supercharger there will be nearly zero drain on the engine to run the turbo.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

I also e-mailed them as I live just right up the road. I have been thinking of getting a 2012 ( l was offered 24k for a trade ) and will wait for there response and see what they offer. My 07 jku rubi only has 23k miles and I love everthing about it except the power.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wait, so, you're telling me the pistons, rods, and crankshaft aren't forged? Cast engine internals form China rule!!!

Quick Reply: 3.8L Turbo kit