Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.8L Turbo kit

Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8L Turbo kit

Has anyone installed this companies turbo kit here yet? I haven't heard anything about it until I saw a link to it on this forum.

http://prodigyperformance.com/

Price is $5,449 according to their site. They also support the 2011 jks which I thought was cool. They are also looking for 5 jk that are willing to test their turbo kit in south Florida.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-70599731.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	271000   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1544492073.jpg
Views:	2221
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	271001   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1605516909.jpg
Views:	1380
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	271002   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2605010824.jpg
Views:	2216
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	271003   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-871075771.jpg
Views:	1806
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	271004  

Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

That is a pretty slick setup. There is also a kit available from STS for the Wrangler as well, hxxp://ststurbo.com/jeep_wrangler. The only thing that scares me about a turbo in my Wrangler is I like to play in the water. I can't see a red hot turbo housing being too happy being submerged in cool water.

Last edited by wayoflifette; 01-28-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: please don't post clickable links to non sponsors
Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by samsquanch
That is a pretty slick setup. There is also a kit available from STS for the Wrangler as well, hxxp://ststurbo.com/jeep_wrangler. The only thing that scares me about a turbo in my Wrangler is I like to play in the water. I can't see a red hot turbo housing being too happy being submerged in cool water.
That's why this on intrigued me because it mounted higher up than the sts turbo which is under the jk. I didn't really like that.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

When you say test does that mean they will pay for he install?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nateb
When you say test does that mean they will pay for he install?
I don't know. I'm not affiliated with them at all just going off what they said on their website

This is what was on the website

"Prodigy Performance is currently looking for 3 qualified local test vehicles for bolt on turbo kits. We have extensive testing over 4 years and 50,000 miles on three in house test vehicles. We are looking to receive feedback in regard to overall product experience. Professional installation and dyno results are included. Satisfaction is guaranteed. If you are interested and live in the South Florida area give us a call at 561.790.3540 We want to hear from you."
Old 01-28-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by samsquanch
just get the turbo, downpipe, and headers ceramic coated and you will have no problems. the biggest concern is making sure you have a god snorkel setup, so that the turbo doesnt take a drink of that muddy water!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by atamagashock
just get the turbo, downpipe, and headers ceramic coated and you will have no problems. the biggest concern is making sure you have a god snorkel setup, so that the turbo doesnt take a drink of that muddy water!
Well the other thing that bothered me with the sts turbo being underneath is that if your going through water most people will also hit mud and if you ever had to work on the turbo you'd probably be sol trying to get any of the fittings off it without breaking them after being in the elements like that for awhile. Also with the hot side of the turbo being there and them getting dunked in water. I don't know if it would damage it or not but I wouldn't want my $1000 turbo sitting under my jeep that I take off road on a regular basis. Sorry it may be just fine down there but just wouldn't want that. This set up still may get nasty from time to time if you get into stuff that deep but it'll be way less likely to be damaged than the STS setup.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe off topic - I can't imagine what you people have against turbo's.
Most of the best off road vehicles in the world use turbochargers. Mercedes-Benz G-wagen, Land Rover Defender and Discovery (LR3), Toyota Land Cruiser. I know these vehicles all do deep water crossings from time to time and have never heard of a turbo issue.
Granted, these are all diesels, but a turbo is a turbo.

Last edited by Tails; 01-28-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be sick! Too bad I don't live in FL
Old 01-28-2012, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live nearby and have emailed them, if I hear anything I will post up.

I would actually like to take a ride by their facility to see what they are doing firsthand, and maybe take some pics. Unfortunately, there is no physical address on their site...

Quick Reply: 3.8L Turbo kit