Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.8L Engine Build

Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeep Hound
Because the engine falls appart stock.. It won't last long with a supercharger
Really - we've competed over 60k miles all supercharged with a 12psi pulley and 365 dyno pass's at full throttle.

We think their rather strong - Have you been through a JK's 3.8?

RIPP TECH
Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS

Really - we've competed over 60k miles all supercharged with a 12psi pulley and 365 dyno pass's at full throttle.

RIPP TECH
That may be the case with most of the engines but there are the " bad lot" engines that were produced with incorrectly installed piston rings and those who have or are experiencing problems related to throwing bearings.
RIpp, can you give any info as how good of quality are our stock engine parts like rods, pistons, bearings, crank? Is there any manufactures that you would recommend to upgrade such parts?
Me personally I would more than love to pit on one of your superchargers but want my engine (which drinks oil like a fish) to be sturdy enough to handle it without fear tearing something up and totally ruining the motor.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS

RIPP TECH
2 of my friends jeeps have had their engines replaced one at 55000km another at 40000. They dont even offroad, they use them as daily drivers no mods and do regular oil changes. Mine seems fine does not loose oil a slight ticking at the valves but nothing bad. Currently at 38000KM

I'm not saying anything bad about your supercharger actualy if I could afford it my jeep would have one

But there is no denying this 3.8l is a peace of junk... So many people have had their engines replaced around 50000km it can't be denied.

Last edited by Jeep Hound; 02-01-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bio-diesel?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by betjeep09
Bio-diesel?
If jeep would have sold the 2.5L diesel engine like the one they put in the military version that they sold to the egyptian military ... I would have got that instead ... I don't know why it's not an option
Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FlyinSquirre1
3.8's are bored/stroked from factory (originally 3.3l) so the walls are thin already. They retuned from minivan specs for a better torque curve than the 4.0l inlines. I'm willing to bet this has a play in the reliability issues we're having. As far as better performance I believe there is not much that can be done mechanically. Maybe deck the heads to bump compression? But that kills even more reliability. Maybe rethink valve lift/duration? Otherwise I'm thinking retune fuel delivery, open the throttle body up, smooth air delivery altogether (cai), smooth exhaust (headers/catback) & basically just maximize efficiency in all subsystems.

It all seems sketchy to me because I am living proof of the horrible reliability of this engine design, 43k miles and the engine blew up. Regular oil changes and zero mods. It doesn't add up, unless of course you count the price of the engine, and labor to replace it, that I just got. :/

Nick
They didn't warranty your engine? You got stuck with the bill?!?!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPop

That's really about it that isn't going to be too intrusive as far as the engine internals go. 0.025" is about as far as I would go, and I understand that at 0.040" you would really be at the fringe of asking for trouble.

As for myself I'm just going to wait out the Pentastar for the 2012s. It isn't going to be a head over heels improvement, but should knock down the operating rpm range by 8-15% with the same power and better torque.
Can you tell more about this new engine? Is this a direct bolt in?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

But there is no denying this 3.8l is a peace of junk... So many people have had their engines replaced around 50000km it can't be denied.
I would like to see the numbers (% of bad engines) for the JK 3.8, compared to other makes.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx

I would like to see the numbers (% of bad engines) for the JK 3.8, compared to other makes.
Me to but I'm sure Chrysler isn't going to release that info
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Me to but I'm sure Chrysler isn't going to release that info
I don't think that would be up to Chrysler. There must be people who monitor such things.

I just haven't found the right search criteria yet.

Quick Reply: 3.8L Engine Build