Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.8L Break In Modifications

Old 11-09-2008, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 3.8L Break In Modifications

I am expecting delivery of my 09 Rubicon in the next few days. I have been four wheeling for years, but this is my first Jeep/Chrysler product. I understand that the computer on the 3.8L takes aprox. 500-600 miles to "learn" your driving habbits and properly break in. My question is this. I have purchased a PureJeep intake, Gibson cat-back exauhst, and a Hypertec power programer...should i wait until after the 500-600 mile break in to install these or will there be any adverse affect if i do it imediatley?
Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine did it pretty quick, too. Also keep in mind that it's not gonna be as bad of a slug as it is when new. It takes about 2500-4000 miles and the Jeep kinda "comes to life" a bit more. Don't know what the hell it is, but that seems to be the concensus. It's not a huge difference, but it is very noticable.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Mine did it pretty quick, too. Also keep in mind that it's not gonna be as bad of a slug as it is when new. It takes about 2500-4000 miles and the Jeep kinda "comes to life" a bit more. Don't know what the hell it is, but that seems to be the concensus. It's not a huge difference, but it is very noticable.
My guess is the computer does what's best for a proper breal-in in spite of what you do with the gas pedal.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
My guess is the computer does what's best for a proper breal-in in spite of what you do with the gas pedal.
Could be....but since I didn't KNOW that for sure......LOL I'd say that's a damn good guess though.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Go ahead and install all of it.

My first thoughts driving the 6-speed 2-door Rubicon with 60 miles and the lift, 35s, bumpers, and winch were "can any motor be this bad?" No power, no torque, terrible mileage, poor throttle responce, if I hadn't read on this forum to give it a little break in time I'd have taken it back to the dealer.

It was tough to keep up with the neighborhood schoolbusses. It sucked having to use 2cnd at 25mph in residential areas, 'cause 3rd wouldn't pull clean at all.
Installing the Hypertech Max Energy at 500-600 miles helped some, but there was little torque available and I was dead meat at the stoplight drags next to a V-6 minivan.
By 1300 miles the little motor had come to life quite a bit, and low end responce and torque were much better. As I approached the 3K oil change performance improved almost daily along with mileage. On a particular route to work, hills, mostly secondary roads, small towns, 45 miles, averaging about 60mph initially gave 11.2mpg! Now averaging 65+ I get around 16 hauling butt, 18+ if I take it easy.
Changed to Mobil 1 oil at 3K and the little V-6 just runs and runs. Torque is good, and it likes to rev now. It will maintain 65mph in 6th up hills now where I used to have to downshift to 4th.
And I actually ran 90+mph on the interstate passing trucks and following a late model 'vette.

A Jeep, on 35" mud tires! 90mph! AC running! Listening to Sirius radio and actually being able to hear it!

I love my Jeep, and it has exceeded my expectations.

I usually drive it and leave the Lexus IS350 at home!
If that's not an endorsement I don't know what is.

Enjoy your new Rubicon.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, that was the info i was looking for. I will post some pics as soon as it arrives....The EPI9000 and front winch bumper arrived today!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I flew to Atlanta and drove my JK 700 miles home the same day. I drove it 55mph the first 350 miles, 75 mph after. About 3500- 4000 miles it came alive, but I drive it fairly BRISKLY. Put it all on to start with, shouldn't matter....
Old 11-09-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found that after 10000 miles the engine still feels like it is "opening up" more than it was after 5000 miles. It revs much happier now than it did new.

Quick Reply: 3.8L Break In Modifications