Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.8L Aftermarket Camshaft

Old 03-29-2017, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8L Aftermarket Camshaft

I just replace the cam and lifters, since my lifters were very noisy. I replace with a 505 performance camshaft kit, which include lifters, time sprockets and chain.

Results:.

the noise of the lifters become worst, so i decided to open the engine again and install back the OEM lifters with the aftermarket camshaft. It has been a week and i still heard the lifters noise even with the OEM lifters that were not too noisy before the aftermarket camshaft.

I didn't see any difference with the aftermarket camshaft in terms of power, i need to go to the dyno and see if i have gain torque or power.

Has anyone had any experience with this??? any recommendations to solve the noise of the lifters??

lester
Old 03-30-2017, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you using a tuner to adjust timing and fuel for the cam changes?
Old 03-30-2017, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Are you using a tuner to adjust timing and fuel for the cam changes?
NO, do you recommend to use it? which turner?
Old 03-31-2017, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Email Diablo Sport, they seem to have the most in depth tuning options with their Intune tuners. You will need to take this project to a shop with a dyno and have this tuning done by a professional to yield positive results.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Email Diablo Sport, they seem to have the most in depth tuning options with their Intune tuners. You will need to take this project to a shop with a dyno and have this tuning done by a professional to yield positive results.
Great!!!! thanks so much for your recommendations!! i will do it the next week, an let you know he results
Old 04-01-2017, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

HI dear friend, today i contact a professional who tune my jeep, with the same turner that came with the Ripp headers.

Here my results in the dyno:.

1-) MSRBP exhaust, K&N filter (factory box), limewire cables, iridium sparks, aluminum mishimoto radiator, (no cataylics converters) ---> 133 RWHP
2-) Adding the Ripp headers without tunning --> 138 RWHP
3-) Adding Ripp with tune----> 148.5 RWHP
4-) Adding 505 performace camshaft -----> 164.5 RWHP
5-) Modifiying parameters to the exiting tune with the diablo Sport -----> 172.5 RWHP.

SO yes, it works, but the fuel economy has dropped a lot. i'm having now 11mpg to 14 mpg.

Lester.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Great to hear taht its running and running well. Thats decent power from a NA motor. What size tires and what gears are you running? I wouldn't put any more money into performance short of a supercharger or motor swap.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Great to hear taht its running and running well. Thats decent power from a NA motor. What size tires and what gears are you running? I wouldn't put any more money into performance short of a supercharger or motor swap.
Yes, it feels very good!. i'm using 37" tires toyo open country and 5.13 gears.

the only thing is that sometimes in idle Rpm feels unstable.

The guy who tuned the jeep told me about a water / meth kit to increise the gas quality and avoid detonations inside the engine, i will research about this and also a VIPER throttle body which is bigger than the stock, have you hear about these parts and results?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

You may want to bump your idle RPM up slightly with your tuner to help smooth it out until you can figure out whats causing it. I've heard quite a bit of good about the Viper throttle body, make sure you retune to account for the larger diameter. I've never seen actual dyno results but Its pretty much plug and play otherwise.
The larger throttle body will likely make your idle situation worse, smaller TB's are tend to help with a more consistent idle for emissions purposes. Look for the issue, maybe you have a vacuum leak.
Personally I wouldn't look at a water meth system on a NA motor. If your getting detonation pull back some of the timing from the tune to match the quality of the fuel your using.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

You will not see a visual different because the differe t is in thousands of an inch !!!
Next , as the engine wears the ECMU makes change to compensate for this .
so now you just made a lot of changes ges like time chain and gear , cam shift, lifter.
This equates to a lot of change for today's engines .
So yes as stated you MUST take it and get it ti.e correctly ..

Period!!!!!!

Next and one of the dumbest is perforamce , as I have stated before in these forums !!!!
You can not add real performance parts and EXEPT an increase in mile per gallons!! Thats just stupid , you must feed it more gas , more gas means more air , more of these two mix equals performance , if one add more gas and air miles per Gillan decrease.

Yes I'm am a rocket scientist

Originally Posted by lester
I just replace the cam and lifters, since my lifters were very noisy. I replace with a 505 performance camshaft kit, which include lifters, time sprockets and chain.

Results:.

the noise of the lifters become worst, so i decided to open the engine again and install back the OEM lifters with the aftermarket camshaft. It has been a week and i still heard the lifters noise even with the OEM lifters that were not too noisy before the aftermarket camshaft.

I didn't see any difference with the aftermarket camshaft in terms of power, i need to go to the dyno and see if i have gain torque or power.

Has anyone had any experience with this??? any recommendations to solve the noise of the lifters??

lester

Quick Reply: 3.8L Aftermarket Camshaft