Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.8 headers

Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8 headers

Have a 08 with a few performance mods. Need advice on headers and if they really make a difference
Old 10-22-2013, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ripp has really nice headers with a custom tune for what I believe are real results. Gibson also makes headers for the 3.8
Old 10-22-2013, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any personal experience, or friends
Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Gibson headers are probably shorty headers - not very much gain compared to a set of long tubes. I don't have any experience with either, but if it was my money I would get the long tubes with the tune. I know we have to have members here with that combo with or without a CAI
Old 10-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Former Vendor

RIPP is the only way to go. Don't have these on the rig yet but I will, unless I end up with an engine swap.

They have dyno numbers showing 35 foot pound of torque and 25 hp at the wheels. You will never find anything like that with any other header on the market.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 6sp JK came with the Gibson Ceramic Coated Headers along with the MBRP Exhaust and CAI when I purchased it. So I dont know the actual performance gains from stock but it runs great and has a slightly deeper exhaust tone. I added the Superchips Flashpaq and I immediately felt a power increase. Passed California smog 1 month ago with flying colors and I left the Flashpaq on 91 performance tune. I can tell you the quality of the Gibson Headers are outstanding. Some people complain that the headers burn the spark plug wires. Mine have heat shields on both sides and I haven't ran into any problems. I would agree that the Ripp Long Tube Headers are 2nd to none but man, thats a lot of cash to put down on the 3.8 motor just for headers.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running Borla long tubes. Probably the only mod I really regret. They lost 10HP on the dyno, are really loud so you need to "tune" your exhaust noise and they cost alot.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
RIPP is the only way to go. Don't have these on the rig yet but I will, unless I end up with an engine swap. They have dyno numbers showing 35 foot pound of torque and 25 hp at the wheels. You will never find anything like that with any other header on the market.
Couldn't agree more, I have heard the same. Looking to add these as well.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

I'm running the full Borla system headers, pipes, mufflers and dual tips. Mine I gained about 15Hp and 17ftlbs torque. The biggest gain I have gotten was from my Supperchips programmer.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've read in my Flashpaq manual that you can not use with long tube headers? Anyone out there know if this is true? And if true why can you not?

Quick Reply: 3.8 headers