Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.8 auto - starting in 2nd gear

Old 06-16-2021, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 3.8 auto - starting in 2nd gear

Currently having my trans built and was thinking that the one thing I hate the most about it, it always starts in 1st gear. Is there a controller that will either lock it into 2nd, or allow it to start off in whatever gear chosen on the selector? This drives me crazy when crawling!
Old 06-17-2021, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I would say you need to find someone that has cracked the Jeep source codes and go from there. There are shift point programmers out there like Superchips but never seen a manual conversion box available. Not sure if you can have manual valve bodies, similar from the past, installed or if they even exist. Starting in first gear is good because that is the gear designed to take the starting load from standstill. My Chev has a 4.6:1 1st gear and always starts there but only stays there for a couple of seconds then 2nd is engaged and even in low range.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
I would say you need to find someone that has cracked the Jeep source codes and go from there. There are shift point programmers out there like Superchips but never seen a manual conversion box available. Not sure if you can have manual valve bodies, similar from the past, installed or if they even exist. Starting in first gear is good because that is the gear designed to take the starting load from standstill. My Chev has a 4.6:1 1st gear and always starts there but only stays there for a couple of seconds then 2nd is engaged and even in low range.
there are a lot of times, when climbing, 1st gear is too much torque causing the tires to break loose. Just wish I could start in 2nd sometimes, but yeah, I can’t find anything either.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

My 3.8 (after I removed and sold and found out it was rebuilt) never exhibited too much torque for takeoff and my current 355HP/385Tq Chev engine does not either even in 1st low range. Have you got a pedal commander on there that is opening the throttle too fast?
Old 06-18-2021, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
My 3.8 (after I removed and sold and found out it was rebuilt) never exhibited too much torque for takeoff and my current 355HP/385Tq Chev engine does not either even in 1st low range. Have you got a pedal commander on there that is opening the throttle too fast?
No, I actually bought a pedal commander just for the purpose of dialing down the throttle, but I couldn’t get it to work without throwing throttle codes so I removed it. With 5.13 gears in 4lo it’s plenty torquey and I find myself doing a lot of 2 foot driving to keep from lunging and breaking traction. It’s only on really steep stuff, so it’s not that big of a deal, I just didn’t know if someone had a programming or something that would help.

Quick Reply: 3.8 auto - starting in 2nd gear