Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.73 gears an 35's

Old 06-25-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 35's and 3.73 with auto, it was ok but the tranny was always kicking down a gear. I have 5:13's now and really makes a huge difference.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Super Freak

You need some 5.13s.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aB²
Anyone running these setup on an Auto? I'm considering the 4.88... but what happen if I put the 35's with the stock gears
Hi aB2! Check out the link Performance mods or re-gear on the search bar. This posting has EVERYTHING you want to know about gears.
If you have an Automatic, the 513-538 seem to be the proper gearing.
If you have a 6-Speed, the 488's seem to be the proper gearing.

I have an Automatic and just went from 410 to 513 (With 32" tires) and I am planning to max. at 33", I LOVE how it stays in the
power range and my trans does NOT shift up and down, it just cruises. This is what you need to research and do it right the first time.

TRUST the postings as I found this info to be RIGHT ON TARGET, because when I called the Mail order house they told me not to go above 488 and they were WRONG for my application.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

i guess it depends what you want out of your jeep. im running 373 with auto and 35s and i think its fine. i guess i wouldnt mind gearing but theres 100 things id do WAY before that. i didnt buy my jeep to win races anyways
Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tony two clips
i guess it depends what you want out of your jeep. im running 373 with auto and 35s and i think its fine. i guess i wouldnt mind gearing but theres 100 things id do WAY before that. i didnt buy my jeep to win races anyways
I just wanted to be able to pass people who were driving slower on the interstate. Boppin aroun town was fine with 4.10's . Interstate sucked!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Running 3.73's is gonna be just fine around town. I commute 40 miles via interstate twice a week, and found the interstate performance to suffer a bit. Bear in mind that you are driving a brick, and it's interstate performance is questionable at best stock. I have not reset my shift points yet, but anticipate better performance when I do. Your speedometer will read 5mph slower than actual at highway speeds. Without your shift points re-calibrated your auto transmission will wander between 1900-2500 rpms. Slightly annoying, and it decreases your mpg, but it works. You can kick OD off and you will run higher RPM's but will be constant. I put my cruise on 70mph indicated (75mph actual) and rock out no problems. I have virtually no passing power at this speed, but I really didn't have much to begin with. You can kick the transmission into a lower gear, but don't expect much response. You will get a slow increase of speed (the thing will still go 90, but will take more time to get there).

Anyways...my opinion.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jggucwa
Running 3.73's is gonna be just fine around town. I commute 40 miles via interstate twice a week, and found the interstate performance to suffer a bit. Bear in mind that you are driving a brick, and it's interstate performance is questionable at best stock. I have not reset my shift points yet, but anticipate better performance when I do. Your speedometer will read 5mph slower than actual at highway speeds. Without your shift points re-calibrated your auto transmission will wander between 1900-2500 rpms. Slightly annoying, and it decreases your mpg, but it works. You can kick OD off and you will run higher RPM's but will be constant. I put my cruise on 70mph indicated (75mph actual) and rock out no problems. I have virtually no passing power at this speed, but I really didn't have much to begin with. You can kick the transmission into a lower gear, but don't expect much response. You will get a slow increase of speed (the thing will still go 90, but will take more time to get there).

Anyways...my opinion.
X2 exactly, you just explained it better, I write in cliff notes.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

low gear good. hi gears bad.

caveman notes. shorter than cliffnotes even.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
low gear good. hi gears bad.

caveman notes. shorter than cliffnotes even.
LOL I need to get some time off so I can come on a ride up there.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

I am running 35" on 2 DR X 3.73 auto, 5.13 are in the boxes, waiting to be installed. For DD on up and down freeway and in the city it is ok, including passing on the uphill or going 75 in the fast lane. I never go over 75 in any vehicle anyway It feels like it would be sluggish if I load the Jeep fully but all in all I am not too unhappy.

Quick Reply: 3.73 gears an 35's