Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.6L power loss?

Old 03-02-2017, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.6L power loss?

Why does it seem like I have less power lately? Anyone else ever have this happen?
2012 JKU Rubi
3.6L with 6 speed, 60K miles, 35" Duratracs, cold air intake, Corsa exhaust, stock gears, no extra cargo or weight.
Just seems sluggish and no throttle response. Air filter is relatively clean.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks
D.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

You've had all that equipment on for a while right, not any recent changes?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How's your tire pressure? Spark plugs fouled? Run some injector cleaner through it, that could be it. Clean your air filter. Make sure your exhaust isn't smashed or has any leaks. Dramatic change in climate or elevation recently?
Old 03-02-2017, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
You've had all that equipment on for a while right, not any recent changes?
Correct, no new changes.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
How's your tire pressure? Spark plugs fouled? Run some injector cleaner through it, that could be it. Clean your air filter. Make sure your exhaust isn't smashed or has any leaks. Dramatic change in climate or elevation recently?
Tires, exhaust and air filter all good, I'll check the plugs and try some injector cleaner as well. Off the top of my head I don't know the maintenance interval on the plugs, but I wouldn't think I'm there yet? Weather has been really up and down here lately, it was 80 a week ago and 12 Sunday morning when I left for work. My commute to work goes from about 6800' at home to about 4700' at work, but that hasn't been a recent change either. Thanks for the suggestions, D.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Any chance you took it to a quick stop for an oil change? I had a power loss issue last summer. Felt like it was dogging all the time I'm the highway. Eventually threw a code under full throttle. It was the oil filter. Was told the jk oil filter has two inner seals and mine wasn't put on all the way and the oil pressure coming out of filter was low. I imagine it messes with the vvt. Good luck fwiw.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Our throttles are throttle by wire. There is a sensor. I recall reading posts about resetting that sensor somehow. There may also be aftermarket throttle sensors. Just a guess....
Old 03-03-2017, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by casamtb
Any chance you took it to a quick stop for an oil change? I had a power loss issue last summer. Felt like it was dogging all the time I'm the highway. Eventually threw a code under full throttle. It was the oil filter. Was told the jk oil filter has two inner seals and mine wasn't put on all the way and the oil pressure coming out of filter was low. I imagine it messes with the vvt. Good luck fwiw.
The symptoms you are describing are exactly how it feels, mostly on the highway at speed. Driving around town seems fine, but no guts passing someone or going up even the slightest grade or a head or crosswind while on the HWY. Just seems I'm having to shift down into 5th more to maintain speed. As far as oil changes, I go to the dealer, we negotiated free oil changes for life when I bought the Jeep. Not to say they couldn't have done the same thing as happened to you though. I will check the filter, that is good to know. Thanks, D.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDee
The symptoms you are describing are exactly how it feels, mostly on the highway at speed. Driving around town seems fine, but no guts passing someone or going up even the slightest grade or a head or crosswind while on the HWY. Just seems I'm having to shift down into 5th more to maintain speed. As far as oil changes, I go to the dealer, we negotiated free oil changes for life when I bought the Jeep. Not to say they couldn't have done the same thing as happened to you though. I will check the filter, that is good to know. Thanks, D.
The dealers are def prone to make mistakes as well. Had a buddy that was having issue, was throwing codes when we went to Colorado and got in the hills. Jeep had no guts. Ran it by a dealer up there and guess what......the TX dealer that did the last oil change and changed the air filter failed to tighten the intake boot at the throttle body! LOL. No telling how much dust he sucked in to that engine as we'd been wheelin' several places in TX prior to hitting the Colorado trip! He had the whole "free" oil change thing goin' too. How you like that for a "free"?
Old 03-03-2017, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
The dealers are def prone to make mistakes as well. Had a buddy that was having issue, was throwing codes when we went to Colorado and got in the hills. Jeep had no guts. Ran it by a dealer up there and guess what......the TX dealer that did the last oil change and changed the air filter failed to tighten the intake boot at the throttle body! LOL. No telling how much dust he sucked in to that engine as we'd been wheelin' several places in TX prior to hitting the Colorado trip! He had the whole "free" oil change thing goin' too. How you like that for a "free"?
I always look things over after dealer warranty work. Every time but the first time, (new timing chain cover), I found mistakes that could have damaged something, burned the Jeep to the ground, or caused an accident on the road.

Quick Reply: 3.6L power loss?