Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.6 Turbo

Old 12-12-2014, 01:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
yep! They are also placing the turbos closer to the heads as well, which gets boost up quicker. Most people who mention "turbo lag" are often referring to older systems. I know we had a 2002 Volvo S60 T5 which was far less efficient than turbos developed today and it still hit peak torque of 250 ft.lbs. at 1800 RPMs. And this is from a 2.3L
I have a 2012 Merc E200 "CGI BlueEfficiency" 1.8L I4 turbo and it makes only 185hp... the turbo is really tiny... and yes... there's noticeable lag from idle. I also have extensively used a 2014 E250 cabriolet... same 1.8L engine but with more power (different turbo/tuning) and lag wasn't worse. Also driven heaps of 2013-2014 turbo VW Passats and Golfs. None of them had excessively large turbos and some were probably SC+turbo but the lag was there.

Long story short, turbo lag is a relative feeling... if your vehicle is not a high end race spec vehicle (not multi turbo, twin charged, etc.) and you don't feel the lag, chances are, the turbo is not doing its job well.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff
I don't know if forced induction in a smaller engine naturally means better mileage than a naturally aspirated slightly larger engine. There's more fuel and air being put in to the smaller engine than what goes in to the bigger engine so what one hand gives, the other takes.

The real way that modern turbo engines do well in terms of both power and mileage is by not having the turbo spool up too early. So when you're in traffic and you need to inch forward, there's hardly any turbo boost and the engine effectively works like a smaller, naturally aspirated engine. Putting the foot down (and waiting for a bit for the turbo to spool up) gives the additional boost. Effectively like having two engines in one.

I for one don't like the idea of the V6 turbo, if it does make it to the Wrangler. Right now the 3.6 is very responsive even with the automatic transmission and there's plenty of torque also thanks to the 3.73 and up gearing. A 3.2 turbo would be more sluggish to move from crawl and the benefits would mostly come in higher revs which is like giving a comb to a bald guy. The only way around this is to have a multi-stage or a variable geometry turbo and I'm not hopeful that such a thing would come for the Wrangler... for the Grand Cherokee maybe.
This is mostly correct, just remember it requires fuel to make power, as the foot goes down the mileage does quite a bit as well.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone realize that turbo wastegates in new vehicles are now ECU controlled with an actuator? Meaning that when you are on the trail, unless you are giving it a significant amount of throttle, most of the exhaust will bypass the turbocharger...

You likely won't be making any more power or torque in normal wheeling situations than NA because the requested load is extremely small when crawling...in turn the wastegate actuator doesn't close the wastegate, very little exhaust spoils the turbo, and you'll likely still be in vacuum.

Cool dyno graphs, they tell nothing in regards to trail usage...unless you're at WOT full load all the time, and not many of us are ultra4 racers or rock bouncers...

Where you will see benefit is on the road.

And what the hell is this bag of ice shit? You think engine controls are that shitty? Have you ever owned a turbocharged car or truck? When in boost your AFR goes down significantly because the ECU is trying to keep the turbo cool with extra fuel. If predicted exhaust temps get too high, an algorithm based on YEARS of testing at OEMs, it'll open the wastegate and NO BOOST FOR YOU! This isn't the 1980's, safety protocols are built into the engine ECU to protect itself AND you.

Most, not all, of you should read a book, "maximum boost: designing, installing, and testing turbochargers". It'll help bring you up to speed on how these systems work. Then pick up a manual on Bosch Motronic ECU control and be blown away by its capabilities, if you can understand what they're even talking about.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by agentjohnson
This is mostly correct, just remember it requires fuel to make power, as the foot goes down the mileage does quite a bit as well.
Because you're making more power.

All other things the same (I.e. Requested load, throttle position, vehicle gearing, ambient conditions, location, etc), a turbochargered motor will be more efficient than NA based on pumping efficiencies alone. NA has to suck air in and push it out...forced induction takes far less power to suck in air.

So, like I said, in the same exact conditions with same vehicle, only change is a turbocharged motor vs. The same motor NA...turbocharged will ALWAYS be more efficient on the highway. To keep the car moving ahead at a given amount of speed, it only takes a small percentage of full rated power. That amount of power between the two exact vehicles will be the same, however, since the turbo engine is more efficient at pumping air, it doesn't need to use as much fuel.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Impostr
Does anyone realize that turbo wastegates in new vehicles are now ECU controlled with an actuator? Meaning that when you are on the trail, unless you are giving it a significant amount of throttle, most of the exhaust will bypass the turbocharger... You likely won't be making any more power or torque in normal wheeling situations than NA because the requested load is extremely small when crawling...in turn the wastegate actuator doesn't close the wastegate, very little exhaust spoils the turbo, and you'll likely still be in vacuum. Cool dyno graphs, they tell nothing in regards to trail usage...unless you're at WOT full load all the time, and not many of us are ultra4 racers or rock bouncers... Where you will see benefit is on the road. And what the hell is this bag of ice shit? You think engine controls are that shitty? Have you ever owned a turbocharged car or truck? When in boost your AFR goes down significantly because the ECU is trying to keep the turbo cool with extra fuel. If predicted exhaust temps get too high, an algorithm based on YEARS of testing at OEMs, it'll open the wastegate and NO BOOST FOR YOU! This isn't the 1980's, safety protocols are built into the engine ECU to protect itself AND you. Most, not all, of you should read a book, "maximum boost: designing, installing, and testing turbochargers". It'll help bring you up to speed on how these systems work. Then pick up a manual on Bosch Motronic ECU control and be blown away by its capabilities, if you can understand what they're even talking about.
If you would actually have read my post you would see we are saying the same thing for the most part. That the turbo wouldn't be beneficial on the trail because it would require WOT to spool the turbo and that's not what's going on for most. That's why I said it would benefit mud bog trucks.

And the comment regarding a bag of ice was me being sarcastic but there is some truth to it. The turbo requires the intercooler to cool the charge air and it gets that air from traveling faster down the road. If a guy is just sitting on a rock or trail spinning the tires and not going anywhere the intercooler may as well not even be hooked up. If you've ever seen a car on a dyno, that's why the tuner will typically place a large fan in front of the intercooler and put a bag of ice on the intercooler. Same thing happens at the dragstrip.

And yes, I understand how all this works. I built an 06 WRX with three different turbo setups and spent time at the track.

Last edited by Stubicon; 12-12-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone realize that turbo wastegates in new vehicles are now ECU controlled with an actuator? Meaning that when you are on the trail, unless you are giving it a significant amount of throttle, most of the exhaust will bypass the turbocharger...

You likely won't be making any more power or torque in normal wheeling situations than NA because the requested load is extremely small when crawling...in turn the wastegate actuator doesn't close the wastegate, very little exhaust spoils the turbo, and you'll likely still be in vacuum.

Cool dyno graphs, they tell nothing in regards to trail usage...unless you're at WOT full load all the time, and not many of us are ultra4 racers or rock bouncers...

Where you will see benefit is on the road.

And what the hell is this bag of ice shit? You think engine controls are that shitty? Have you ever owned a turbocharged car or truck? When in boost your AFR goes down significantly because the ECU is trying to keep the turbo cool with extra fuel. If predicted exhaust temps get too high, an algorithm based on YEARS of testing at OEMs, it'll open the wastegate and NO BOOST FOR YOU! This isn't the 1980's, safety protocols are built into the engine ECU to protect itself AND you.

Most, not all, of you should read a book, "maximum boost: designing, installing, and testing turbochargers". It'll help bring you up to speed on how these systems work. Then pick up a manual on Bosch Motronic ECU control and be blown away by its capabilities, if you can understand what they're even talking about.
This can be changed with a custom tune, that won't be a problem. You could get a trail tune that makes power as soon as you tip the pedal.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Stubicon
The turbo requires the intercooler to keep cool and it gets that air from traveling faster down the road. If a guy is just sitting on a rock or trail spinning the tires and not going anywhere the intercooler may as well not even be hooked up. If you've ever seen a car on a dyno, that's why the tuner will typically place a large fan in front of the intercooler and put a bag of ice on the intercooler.
But the intercooler is post turbo and cools the charge air, not the turbo, so your engine does not pull timing because of high IATs. High IATs won't kill your turbo, it'll kill your power because the ECU will pull timing and dump fuel to keep things cool. You're confusing me and likely people reading this thread by the way that you are describing how critical components function.

As for the tune that basically will hold the wastegate shut, that's cool and all, but why do you need more power crawling around? Unless we're talking ultra4 or rock bouncers that use wheel speed to get over obstacles...then worthwhile...
Old 12-12-2014, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

But the intercooler is post turbo and cools the charge air, not the turbo, so your engine does not pull timing because of high IATs. High IATs won't kill your turbo, it'll kill your power because the ECU will pull timing and dump fuel to keep things cool. You're confusing me and likely people reading this thread by the way that you are describing how critical components function. As for the tune that basically will hold the wastegate shut, that's cool and all, but why do you need more power crawling around? Unless we're talking ultra4 or rock bouncers that use wheel speed to get over obstacles...then worthwhile...
You're still ignoring my point. If the car is sitting still spinning the tires, the intercooler is is not getting the air it needs this increasing the potential for pre detonation. My point is the same as yours. I don't believe a turbo on a jeep built for slow crawling would be beneficial.

Last edited by Stubicon; 12-12-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

You're still ignoring my point. If the car is sitting still spinning the tires, the intercooler is is not getting the air it needs this increasing the potential for pre detonation.

My point is the same as yours. I don't believe a turbo on a jeep built for slow crawling would not be beneficial.
I agree that our points are the same, I am not ignoring your point, I am clarifying your confusing statement so that others reading this thread know what we're talking about (sorry if it came across as personal attack or ignorance):

The turbo requires the intercooler to keep the charge air cool
^^FIFY
Old 12-12-2014, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are correct. I could have worded that better.

Last edited by Stubicon; 12-12-2014 at 05:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 3.6 Turbo