Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.6 Turbo

Old 12-10-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff

I don't know if forced induction in a smaller engine naturally means better mileage than a naturally aspirated slightly larger engine. There's more fuel and air being put in to the smaller engine than what goes in to the bigger engine so what one hand gives, the other takes.

The real way that modern turbo engines do well in terms of both power and mileage is by not having the turbo spool up too early. So when you're in traffic and you need to inch forward, there's hardly any turbo boost and the engine effectively works like a smaller, naturally aspirated engine. Putting the foot down (and waiting for a bit for the turbo to spool up) gives the additional boost. Effectively like having two engines in one.

I for one don't like the idea of the V6 turbo, if it does make it to the Wrangler. Right now the 3.6 is very responsive even with the automatic transmission and there's plenty of torque also thanks to the 3.73 and up gearing. A 3.2 turbo would be more sluggish to move from crawl and the benefits would mostly come in higher revs which is like giving a comb to a bald guy. The only way around this is to have a multi-stage or a variable geometry turbo and I'm not hopeful that such a thing would come for the Wrangler... for the Grand Cherokee maybe.
Well I can say my ecoboost f150 would get an honest hand calcd 22.8 and when towing I would get 17-18. I had 2800lbs of concrete forms in back and got 17.6 at 75 mph with on section of 7% grade for 4 miles. Just my opinion
Old 12-10-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am a fan of the turbo and would like to see it in the JK. Those of us at elevation would see a huge benefit from a turbo.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeep could follow Volvo's lead and couple the turbo with a supercharger. They are seeing some good numbers on their new engines. Squeezing 300hp out of 2.0L engines. And 30mpg #'s in the process.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mike H.
Not so true under part throttle daily driver function. Spirited driving and towing, maybe,
Yes mine was more of a statement than a question
Old 12-11-2014, 03:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced

Well I can say my ecoboost f150 would get an honest hand calcd 22.8 and when towing I would get 17-18. I had 2800lbs of concrete forms in back and got 17.6 at 75 mph with on section of 7% grade for 4 miles.
The point i raised was about performance off idle crawl, not necessarily 0-60, which has room for high revs.

Originally Posted by Ben Todd
I am a fan of the turbo and would like to see it in the JK. Those of us at elevation would see a huge benefit from a turbo.
How about a supercharger? Best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Jeep could follow Volvo's lead and couple the turbo with a supercharger. They are seeing some good numbers on their new engines. Squeezing 300hp out of 2.0L engines. And 30mpg #'s in the process.
VW TFSI is probably the more popular example of combining the two. Personally i think a variable supercharger can be just as effective while being simpler.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

A turbo on a mud bog truck would make sense but I can't see the benefit on a jeep considering the low speed crawl and potential for lag. I can just imagine a guy crawling rocks spooling up and then the turbo kicking in and flipping the jeep. It'd be pretty interesting to see a rock crawler with a two step though ha.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff

The point i raised was about performance off idle crawl, not necessarily 0-60, which has room for high revs.

How about a supercharger? Best of both worlds.

VW TFSI is probably the more popular example of combining the two. Personally i think a variable supercharger can be just as effective while being simpler.
Well how about 90% of peak power at 1900 rpm? Everyone says ohh turbo= lag. It has to do with the size of the turbo. There is 0 lag on the ecoboost line up because the used small turbos. I'm betting at 1200-1300 rpm that engine was making upper 200s to lower 300 tq
Old 12-11-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well how about 90% of peak power at 1900 rpm? Everyone says ohh turbo= lag. It has to do with the size of the turbo. There is 0 lag on the ecoboost line up because the used small turbos. I'm betting at 1200-1300 rpm that engine was making upper 200s to lower 300 tq
yep! They are also placing the turbos closer to the heads as well, which gets boost up quicker. Most people who mention "turbo lag" are often referring to older systems. I know we had a 2002 Volvo S60 T5 which was far less efficient than turbos developed today and it still hit peak torque of 250 ft.lbs. at 1800 RPMs. And this is from a 2.3L
Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

True but how long do they hold boost before falling flat on their face? 2000rpms? I'd like to see the dyno sheet to see a power and torque curve. The reason those smaller turbos are great on the road is because as the turbo hits its peak rpm range you change gears, drop the RPS, and start making power again. I can't see guys rock crawling doing that. That's why you see guys in the car world run sequential turbo setups. One small and one big. It allows them to maintain boost through higher rpm range.

Here's a graph comparing stock Ecoboost to superchips tuned. As you can see at 1900rpms it's making no where near 90% peak power. Hell, it doesn't even make peak power until 4900rpms. Torque, on the other hand, is impressive. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2408103754.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	587584

Last edited by Stubicon; 12-11-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

And on top of that, heat kills turbos and revving up the RPMS going 3mph will reduce the output like crazy. I hope people are prepared to carry ice bags on the trail.

Quick Reply: 3.6 Turbo