Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.6 Turbo

Old 12-10-2014, 12:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.6 Turbo

I just read that late 2015 the 3.6 is going to be Turbo charged. http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/fuel-...nge/ar-BBgw3gQ

Last edited by cutter4292; 12-10-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its speculation at this time. That's what I read yesterday.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read they have plans for the turbo to go in trucks (like Ford's current use) and some cars which included the Cherokee. There was no mention of stuffing it into the Wrangler. They did indicate it puts out around 400hp.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would make more sense in a Wrangler to go smaller displacement if they put a turbo in. I believe the eight speed trans is confirmed and you can bet the next gen will be lighter and slightly more aerodynamic.

They need better gas mileage, and a 375hp 3.6 is not the way to get it. I do know that the current gen pentastar was designed with the plan to eventually use turbo for forced induction. My guess is that will be found on some of the sportier cars and the Ram. Maybe the Grand Cherokee as well.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Would make more sense in a Wrangler to go smaller displacement if they put a turbo in. I believe the eight speed trans is confirmed and you can bet the next gen will be lighter and slightly more aerodynamic.

They need better gas mileage, and a 375hp 3.6 is not the way to get it. I do know that the current gen pentastar was designed with the plan to eventually use turbo for forced induction. My guess is that will be found on some of the sportier cars and the Ram. Maybe the Grand Cherokee as well.
My thought is that by reducing engine size more reliance for power is put on the turbocharger. I think this results in more fuel usage and stress on engine components. I know these days it's all about emissions & fuel economy. I'm surprised we still have hot rods like Mustang, Charger, Vette, etc.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scubatech
My thought is that by reducing engine size more reliance for power is put on the turbocharger. I think this results in more fuel usage and stress on engine components. I know these days it's all about emissions & fuel economy. I'm surprised we still have hot rods like Mustang, Charger, Vette, etc.
Well, you have the first part right. The turbo allows for less displacement, while still making the same power. So, you have achieved greater efficiency. That results in better mpg.

The turbo gets free energy from exhaust, so it is sort of recycling/reclaiming lost energy. The amount of boost used in a production car is never enough to cause early engine wear. The engines typically have a lower compression ratio to offset the boost. And other special design elements.

Last edited by Invest2m4; 12-10-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, you have the first part right. The turbo allows for less displacement, while still making the same power. So, you have achieved greater efficiency. That results in better mpg.

The turbo gets free energy from exhaust, so it is sort of recycling/reclaiming lost energy. The amount of boost used in a production car is never enough to cause early engine wear. The engines typically have a lower compression ratio to offset the boost. And other special design elements.
I would definitely hope they would build internals for the
turbo. That would save them money down the road on warranty repairs.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if forced induction in a smaller engine naturally means better mileage than a naturally aspirated slightly larger engine. There's more fuel and air being put in to the smaller engine than what goes in to the bigger engine so what one hand gives, the other takes.

The real way that modern turbo engines do well in terms of both power and mileage is by not having the turbo spool up too early. So when you're in traffic and you need to inch forward, there's hardly any turbo boost and the engine effectively works like a smaller, naturally aspirated engine. Putting the foot down (and waiting for a bit for the turbo to spool up) gives the additional boost. Effectively like having two engines in one.

I for one don't like the idea of the V6 turbo, if it does make it to the Wrangler. Right now the 3.6 is very responsive even with the automatic transmission and there's plenty of torque also thanks to the 3.73 and up gearing. A 3.2 turbo would be more sluggish to move from crawl and the benefits would mostly come in higher revs which is like giving a comb to a bald guy. The only way around this is to have a multi-stage or a variable geometry turbo and I'm not hopeful that such a thing would come for the Wrangler... for the Grand Cherokee maybe.

Last edited by Rockmaninoff; 12-10-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff
I don't know if forced induction in a smaller engine naturally means better mileage than a naturally aspirated slightly larger engine.
Not so true under part throttle daily driver function. Spirited driving and towing, maybe, but with today's fuel management and variable valve timing, this truth of old is going the way of the pushrod.
Fords Ecco boost in the Fusion is a dog until around 5000rpms... I expect we'll see something similar mated to the 8spd trans. Also read aluminum body's are coming at the same time for weight reduction.
At that point, we'll essentially have a LR Defender.

Last edited by Mike H.; 12-10-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

After just switching from a 2013 dart with the 1.4l turbo, I pray that jeep keeps turbos out of the wrangler. Would a small displacement engine with a multi air turbo net better mpg? Yes. Would said turbo lag like a mother and be a pain at low speed before full spool? Absolutely. I loved getting over 30 mpg city even with that turbo heavily modded. I absolutely hated all the problems that came with turbos and boost leak. It was actually how I justified to my wife selling the dart.

Quick Reply: 3.6 Turbo