Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.6 cat back system...suggestions??

Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.6 cat back system...suggestions??

Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

I would not touch the factory exhaust unless you really want a different sound.

There are many guys on the forum who have degraded their performance by messing with the exhaust on the new motor.

Truth be told...most vehicles these days have just about all the power squeezed out of them from the factory with regards to breathing and exhaust. Vehicles that benefit from intakes and exhaust the most are forced induction.

Now I know there will be a whole host of people on here that will disagree, but I think the 3.6 is great the way it sits. I would not mess with the exhaust to try and gain power. Sound is another matter.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rays0852
I would not touch the factory exhaust unless you really want a different sound.

There are many guys on the forum who have degraded their performance by messing with the exhaust on the new motor.

Truth be told...most vehicles these days have just about all the power squeezed out of them from the factory with regards to breathing and exhaust. Vehicles that benefit from intakes and exhaust the most are forced induction.

Now I know there will be a whole host of people on here that will disagree, but I think the 3.6 is great the way it sits. I would not mess with the exhaust to try and gain power. Sound is another matter.
I was just looking for the sound. I'm happy with the performance but i'll forego sound if it means losing 1 ounce of power. Thanks for the tip. The 3.6 actually sounds pretty throaty up to about 2200 rpm but then sounds like every V6 past that...imo
Old 12-17-2012, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the AFE High Tuck 3 inch RB exhaust and it sounds very nice I think. Not overly loud, nice growl without being ricey. Plus it gets rid of my huge muffler in the back. I tossed on an AirRaid CAI and together I think i gain at least a few horsepower as well. I wouldnt do it for the horsepower but to get rid of that big muffler in the way in the back and give yourself a little better protection going through water it is very nice.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm runnin the dynomax cat back crawler muffler. Nice deep low our at idle and nice tone at accelerations
Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also have the AFE hi-tuck. Pretty quiet at idle but sounds really nice when u stomp on it
Old 12-17-2012, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

its an upgrade im considering and im curious why you guys are keeping the rear muffler ?

IMO If im gonna do this, i might as well gain some ground clearance too & get rid of the low hanging rear muffler all together.

Im seeing pricing on the AFE system below (2.5inch @ $366 & 3 inch @ $418)
I dont believe this engine would benefit from the larger 3 inch...i think it needs the back pressure.

oh crap ! afe doesnt make either of these systems for a 2 door (WTH) !?!?!

Last edited by bushpilot; 12-17-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd like to move the muffler and enlarger (deepen out) the rear storage area.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the dynomax rock crawler as well and I am very happy with it, i did it for the sound as well as moving the muffler
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

+2 on the Dynomax Rock Krawler... Nice sound

Quick Reply: 3.6 cat back system...suggestions??