Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.5" RockKrawler Max Travel System vs. 3.5" AEV DualSport SC Suspension

Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up going with the 3.5" X-Factor Mid Arm with 35" MTRs....love this set up, can't wait to go long arm!!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What shocks did you end up going with? Also did you need to replace or upgrade the drive shaft?

I'm debating kits right now and I really wish the Rock Krawler kit came with progressive shocks in the rear too.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MattAlpha
What shocks did you end up going with? Also did you need to replace or upgrade the drive shaft?

I'm debating kits right now and I really wish the Rock Krawler kit came with progressive shocks in the rear too.
Bought Bilstein 5100s, I have zero complaints.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rock Krawler kit with Bilstein 5100s. No questions. I'm not saying their aren't other companies that can't compete but the quality and performance of the RK kit is not matched unless you start lookin at goin to a coil over system. The AEV kits are overpriced for the money simply because of the way they're engineered. The Rancho kit that is setup almost exactly the same way as the AEV is of much higher quality at half the price. I'm not just bashing AEV because I know they do make great stuff but when it comes to that kit, your money is better spent elsewhere. I wheel with a guy running that kit on 37s and my RK kit on 35s goes over obstacles much easier and flexes much more than his. I went almost 7 full inches higher than he did on the RTI ramp at the local park on Saturday. He even said that for what he spent on it he's disappointed. He's talking about ditching the brackets and buying adjustable control arms now.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Knowing what I know now...I would have ripped myself for even comparing the two now lol...There is no real comparison...Rock Krawler is far superior to anything AEV makes lol
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NightRider08JK
Rock Krawler kit with Bilstein 5100s. No questions. I'm not saying their aren't other companies that can't compete but the quality and performance of the RK kit is not matched unless you start lookin at goin to a coil over system. The AEV kits are overpriced for the money simply because of the way they're engineered. The Rancho kit that is setup almost exactly the same way as the AEV is of much higher quality at half the price. I'm not just bashing AEV because I know they do make great stuff but when it comes to that kit, your money is better spent elsewhere. I wheel with a guy running that kit on 37s and my RK kit on 35s goes over obstacles much easier and flexes much more than his. I went almost 7 full inches higher than he did on the RTI ramp at the local park on Saturday. He even said that for what he spent on it he's disappointed. He's talking about ditching the brackets and buying adjustable control arms now.
Please dont take this the wrong way and I am not disputing what you said, I just find this very hard to believe. ...About the ramp I mean.
Also, the Rancho kit is not the same as the AEV Premium 3.5.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moabicon
Please dont take this the wrong way and I am not disputing what you said, I just find this very hard to believe. ...About the ramp I mean.
Also, the Rancho kit is not the same as the AEV Premium 3.5.
I don't recall AEV having a "Premium kit". I believe you are referring to the Dual Sport SC kit and no the Rancho kit is not the same. It doesn't include a rear track bar, steering stabilizer, pocal or jack base. The AEV kit is over $1600 and the Rancho kit after rebate won't even cost me $600. What the Rancho kit does have are extended front brake lines, adjustable shocks and stronger drop brackets. I can buy the rear track bar and stabilizer of my choice if I decide I need them. As for the procal I can buy a tuner or pick up a used procal. Even if I buy all of this I will still pocket a bunch of cash and have, in my opinion a better kit. Oh yeah did I mention for less?(yeah I did)

As for the score on the ramp. I have no doubt his score was that much higher. The Rock Krawler kit flexes more and was designed for the front to be disconnected. The AEV not so much, so I bet the Krawler JK had the fronts disco'd and the AEV JK did not. Even if the AEV JK disco'd it would'nt score as high. It just can't articulate as much. Physics is Physics man. Not to mention the Rock Krawler arms are way, way stronger than stock.

Comparing the AEV kit to the Rock Krawler kit is like comparing a lawn mower to a bulldozer. Comparing the AEV kit to the Rancho kit is more apples to apples. I just like to spend less for my apples. AEV is good stuff it's just overpriced good stuff.

:b eer:

Gary
Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I don't recall AEV having a "Premium kit". I believe you are referring to the Dual Sport SC kit and no the Rancho kit is not the same. It doesn't include a rear track bar, steering stabilizer, pocal or jack base. The AEV kit is over $1600 and the Rancho kit after rebate won't even cost me $600. What the Rancho kit does have are extended front brake lines, adjustable shocks and stronger drop brackets. I can buy the rear track bar and stabilizer of my choice if I decide I need them. As for the procal I can buy a tuner or pick up a used procal. Even if I buy all of this I will still pocket a bunch of cash and have, in my opinion a better kit. Oh yeah did I mention for less?(yeah I did)

As for the score on the ramp. I have no doubt his score was that much higher. The Rock Krawler kit flexes more and was designed for the front to be disconnected. The AEV not so much, so I bet the Krawler JK had the fronts disco'd and the AEV JK did not. Even if the AEV JK disco'd it would'nt score as high. It just can't articulate as much. Physics is Physics man. Not to mention the Rock Krawler arms are way, way stronger than stock.

Comparing the AEV kit to the Rock Krawler kit is like comparing a lawn mower to a bulldozer. Comparing the AEV kit to the Rancho kit is more apples to apples. I just like to spend less for my apples. AEV is good stuff it's just overpriced good stuff.

:b eer:

Gary
I'm sure the Rancho kit is good quality. The Aev Premium kit has the steering kit included. Okay, now they call it Dual Sport. But it is more than a steering stabilizer. It also flips the drag link end and provides a raised track bar tower, for a better "roll center". I never even considered that someone would measure flex on a ramp but not disconnect. That's silly. But, maybe it explains it.
AEV also provides a rear track bar Bracket. If you dont have one one with your lift, I would strongly suggest getting one if you plan on wheeling it. JK Stock rear track bar brackets are usually the first thing to go when wheeled hard.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moabicon
I'm sure the Rancho kit is good quality. The Aev Premium kit has the steering kit included. Okay, now they call it Dual Sport. But it is more than a steering stabilizer. It also flips the drag link end and provides a raised track bar tower, for a better "roll center". I never even considered that someone would measure flex on a ramp but not disconnect. That's silly. But, maybe it explains it.
AEV also provides a rear track bar Bracket. If you dont have one one with your lift, I would strongly suggest getting one if you plan on wheeling it. JK Stock rear track bar brackets are usually the first thing to go when wheeled hard.
True, it does have the drag link flip & Rancho just proivides a new track bar. The new Rancho kit has what looks to be a stout rear track bar bracket, but time will tell.

Anyway here's my thought's

Rancho kit actual cost after rebate $505 (yes that's my actual cost)
Procal $150
Bilstein steering stabilizer $86
Rock Krawler rear track bar $160
Teraflex drag link flip $214
Total $1115

What I would probably choose and in my opinion all superior to what's included in AEV's kit:
Rancho kit $505
Super Chips 3875 used $250
Fox steering stabilizer $125
Evo drag link flip $300
Total $1340
Discounted through forum sponsors even less.

I probably won't do any of it except the Super Chips unless something brakes or there is a true need. $755!!!!!!!!

I will spend my money elsewhere.

Gary
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ASSFROW
True, it does have the drag link flip & Rancho just proivides a new track bar. The new Rancho kit has what looks to be a stout rear track bar bracket, but time will tell.

Anyway here's my thought's

Rancho kit actual cost after rebate $505 (yes that's my actual cost)
Procal $150
Bilstein steering stabilizer $86
Teraflex drag link flip $214
Total $1115

What I would probably choose and in my opinion all superior to what's included in AEV's kit:
Rancho kit $505
Super Chips 3875 used $250
Fox steering stabilizer $125
Evo drag link flip $300
Total $1340
Discounted through forum sponsors even less.

I probably won't do any of it except the Super Chips unless something brakes or there is a true need. $755!!!!!!!!

I will spend my money elsewhere.

Gary
Hey Gary... you must be an Accountant...

Even the AEV people will be hard pressed to argue with those facts!

Quick Reply: 3.5" RockKrawler Max Travel System vs. 3.5" AEV DualSport SC Suspension