Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.5" RK X Factor Owners - What Shocks?

Old 04-08-2015, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running some old Rough Country 2.2 shocks I had laying around since I destroyed two of the Teraflx 9550's my jeep came with. I am now tired of the crappy ride and looking into Rancho 9000's for the adjustability.

What are you guys running? I currently wheel at least once a month and want keep every inch of travel RK gives my jeep.

Last edited by pontiac31; 04-08-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fox 2.0's or RK's shocks are real nice.

You would like the ride of the Rancho adjustables too, but I kept breaking off the adjuster knob
Old 04-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would go with the RRD shocks. They are engineered around that kit, are rebuildable, and can be tuned. The Bilstein 5100 is another good option that may not ride quite as good, but will allow a lot of flex.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Former Vendor

As others have mentioned the RRD's would be the shock of choice with this kit. We have run these, and abused these for the past two years. They have help up great and the ride is very nice. You are able to adjust the nitrogen charge to change the way the shock reacts. We have set many customers up with these shocks and they all love them.

If you are looking for a cheaper shock the next best choice would be the Bilstien 5100 shocks. These have the closest valving to the RRD's that you will find.

Travel is all based on your shock lengths. If you want to maximize your travel you will need to fully cycle the suspension and determine what length shocks you can fit.

PM us if you want more detailed information or pricing on anything.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:27 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Ran the 5100's for a while, decent ride on and off road. After blowing two of them on "high" speed fire road runs due to over heating we bumped up to King 2.5 adjustable and have never looked back.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
As others have mentioned the RRD's would be the shock of choice with this kit. We have run these, and abused these for the past two years. They have help up great and the ride is very nice. You are able to adjust the nitrogen charge to change the way the shock reacts. We have set many customers up with these shocks and they all love them.

If you are looking for a cheaper shock the next best choice would be the Bilstien 5100 shocks. These have the closest valving to the RRD's that you will find.

Travel is all based on your shock lengths. If you want to maximize your travel you will need to fully cycle the suspension and determine what length shocks you can fit.

PM us if you want more detailed information or pricing on anything.
Thanks for the reply, I plan on doing some much needed maintenance after a long hard winter in the Northeast. I do intend on pulling shocks and springs to find exact dimensions for new shocks. Also planning on putting all new ends on my RK tie rod and drag link, our PA potholes have taken a toll on parts. I will hit you up with dimensions for a quote on shocks after I measure the suspension cycle. Possibly switching the rear to RK three link mid arm, also.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another one for 5100s. I had the Rancho 9000s with a 2.5 max travel on my 4 door and they were ok. I traded it for a 2 door and bought the 2.5 stock mod kit from Northridge that came with the 5100s and some other things. Threw on my control arms that I removed before trading and the ride seems softer. Even though I had the 9000s on 3/4 setting the 5100s feel nicer. IDK maybe the ones they sell with the kit are tuned
Old 04-09-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I've run both the Bilstein 5100 and the Rancho 9000's (currently on my Jeep). The Bilsteins are stiffer (maybe a 7 or 8 on the Ranchos) and provide a harder on road ride. Off road they hanlde well and provide great feeback. The Ranchos, because of their adjustability, can range from super stiff (good for overalnd type wheeling) to "I'm floating on a cloud" softness. Offroad I find I prefer the softer ride and response of the Ranchos set on 2 or 3 over the Bilsteins. I do mostly rock crawling and the Ranchos are more easily tuned to deal with bouncing off rocks, crawling over them or off camber angles. They just "feel" better to me.

I also had a couple of Bilsteins leak on me. Thankfully they have a lifetime warranty and easily replaced. And if you live in an area that gets snow, I found the Bilsteins corrode faster than the Ranchos from the salt on the ground.

Only other shock I've tried are the teraflex shocks which are completely different than Ranchos and Bilsteins but still a nice ride.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Krawlersaur
Another one for 5100s. I had the Rancho 9000s with a 2.5 max travel on my 4 door and they were ok. I traded it for a 2 door and bought the 2.5 stock mod kit from Northridge that came with the 5100s and some other things. Threw on my control arms that I removed before trading and the ride seems softer. Even though I had the 9000s on 3/4 setting the 5100s feel nicer. IDK maybe the ones they sell with the kit are tuned
3/4 on the ranchos should be softer than the Bilsteins so that is weired that yours felt stiffer. It might be that you prefer a more responsive feel from your shocks so that is why you like the Bilsteins. To get Bilstein stiffness, the Ranchos need to be somewhere between 6 and 8. I forget the technical terms but the way the Bilsteins are built, they have a much quicker/snappier response so they tend to feel stiffer to most people. Not stiff in a bad way...
Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by pontiac31
Thanks for the reply, I plan on doing some much needed maintenance after a long hard winter in the Northeast. I do intend on pulling shocks and springs to find exact dimensions for new shocks. Also planning on putting all new ends on my RK tie rod and drag link, our PA potholes have taken a toll on parts. I will hit you up with dimensions for a quote on shocks after I measure the suspension cycle. Possibly switching the rear to RK three link mid arm, also.
Sounds good. We will be sure to set you up with some great pricing on anything you may need.

Quick Reply: 3.5" RK X Factor Owners - What Shocks?