Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.5 "lift and ds question

Old 08-02-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.5 "lift and ds question

so im defiently gonna go with the rock krawler kit when ever i can but i jsut had the idea since most ppl gotta replace the ds with that mcuh lift but what if u took the skid plates off becuz isnt that what rubs on teh driveshafts or is it sumthing else any chane i wouldnt tneed to replace the ds
and if so how much would that cost me for the driveshafts
is it both front and rear or just one of them?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a 2dr auto, the angles gonna kill your shafts. In frt the skid or tranny pan may get it, plus the angle. In the rear, too much angle for the stock shaft.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

ohh yeai have a 2dr auto fforgot to mention that

ok so i will definetly have to replaece both ?or jsut one?
how much?
what company?
thx for the quik reply

edit heres naother question im stickind with teh stock 17s adn going to 35s can i jsut run sacers up front or will tehy be needed in teh back too would it look weird with em jsut in front?

Last edited by TheBeatenPath; 08-02-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Q: Are new driveshafts needed after installing a lift?
A: You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. This is needed because the short rear drive shaft of the 2-doors will be at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will wear out prematurely. However, in order to do this, you will need to buy a set of rear adjustable upper control arms so that you can properly set your pinion angle. 4-Door Unlimited models do not have this problem as their rear drive shafts are very long and a lift will not effect the angle of it too much. As far as the front goes, if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to replace the drive shaft with a double cardin U-joint style unit as well as the diameter of aftermarket shafts will be considerably narrower and will not come into contact with the transmission and/or skid plate. Failure to do this will result in the tearing of the factory drive shaft boot as it makes contact with the transmission. Manual transmissions will not have this problem and keeping the factory front drive shaft will not be a problem.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath

edit heres naother question im stickind with teh stock 17s adn going to 35s can i jsut run sacers up front or will tehy be needed in teh back too would it look weird with em jsut in front?
You would need them more in the rear than the front, if it we're me, I'd just do them all. Some good driveshafts are Coast, JeReel, Tom woods.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

thank u i will keep all of this in mind

Quick Reply: 3.5 "lift and ds question