Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.5 inch lift

Old 02-11-2015, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a RK 3.5 I got about 4.25 in the front before adding my bumper.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra141
RK are you talking with disconnecting sway bars and flex, or just with every day driving.
We have seen plenty of customers wheel their rigs with 3.5" kits and factory driveshafts and have zero issues. most crucial to this is the fact that you make sure to flex your rig out and make sure that you have no limiting factors like bind in the driveline or contact with components. That being said the more and further you stretch the factory driveshaft boots the more susceptible they are to tearing.

RK
Old 02-11-2015, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

3.5"lift here with stock driveshaft and zero issues. A good installation will go a long way when it comes to the driveshaft angle. I do more trail riding than anything never disconnect my swaybars. If you plan on disconnecting and flexing a lot then you will definitely want to look at replacing different drive shaft, at least the front
Old 02-19-2015, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Typically the higher the lift the more money your looking to spend. Driveshaft will just be one of those upgrades you'll need to make and spend money on eventually and maybe sooner than later depending on your trail use.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not let the DS determine what size lift to get. It really is a no issue once the stock DS boot tears... replace the drive shaft and should not need to worry about it again. Tires size should be the limiting factor to the minimum lift size... and money of course. GL
Old 02-19-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its really not a question of x height is safe and y is not. Lifting your jeep puts more stress on the driveline because the CV joint was designed for stock geometry. Plenty of people on the forum are running stock DS with 4" of lift and some need a new DS at 2". Once the vehicle is lifted, its more of a WHEN then an if the DS will fail. Along with the CV tearing, the DS can come into contact with the exhaust crossover bending or damaging the shaft. My 2.5in lift brought me to a little over 3in and i noticed grease after my first flex. That being said, I knew that eventually my DS would fail and I would need a new one. Granted its very little grease so I'm not worried about immediate failure, but now a DS is at the top of my list. Sadly over the 35s.

So dont let the DS determine the lift you want to run, because most likely you will eventually need a new DS, expecially if you disco. Run the lift you want and just save a little extra to run an after market shaft. Most after market shafts members are running are significantly less in diameter then the stock DS, and replace the CV with a double cardon joint.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

3.5 MC lift, exhaust mod and stock DS. I am waiting and ready for failure. That being said I wheel (disconnected and flexed) 2-3 days a week. 8k miles and holding strong 2014 JKUR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1553.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	597804  
Old 02-20-2015, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

damn thing keeps turning my pics and wont let me edit sorry for the sideways pic
Old 02-20-2015, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default AEV Suspensions

Originally Posted by jmischen
I have an 09 jku and was looking into a 3.5 inch lift, what I'm wondering is at that height would I need to replace the driveshafts?
I have a 2008 JK 2DR and used a JK DualSport RS Suspension 3.5"/4.5" which for my application does not recommend nor require any additional length or drops for the driveshafts. The only thing is the exhaust which has to be re-routed, but since i was doing a MBRP install this was a non issue.

Here is the link to the page for the 4DR JK DualSport RS Suspension 3.5"/4.5"

American Expedition Vehicles - Brute Kit, V8 HEMI, Aftermarket Jeep Conversions, Products, Wheels, Accessories and Highline Kits for Jeeps (TJ, JK, WK, XK).

They also sell a very similar kit minus the AEV-tuned Bilstein 5160 Remote Reservoir Shocks; you get the 5100 AEV Blistein Shocks. Not pushing AEV though I do very much enjoy the ride quality, manufacturing of parts, and strength of components. It also gave me a better feeling knowing that the Owner is a pioneer to the TJ/JK strech and has been a prototype manufacturer for JEEP for many years now. So experience goes a long way.

This is directly from the page for the above mentioned suspension kit.
2007-2011 Driveshaft: For installation on a 2007-2011 automatic trans JK we recommend a narrower drive shaft.

Hope that helps.

Not to mention these kits for what they come with and there quality are significantly cheaper than most other "name" brands.Click image for larger version

Name:	00505_aO962gujNQg_600x450.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	597805
Old 02-20-2015, 05:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Short arms lifts typically need shorter shafts not longer and this is needed depending on the length of the shocks and the amount of droop you have.

Quick Reply: 3.5 inch lift