Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.5 or 5.5

Old 02-20-2010, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5 or 5.5

So I decided to make the jump to 37's and am ordering a new lift soon. I've decided to go with a Rock Krawler lift, but am undecided between a 3.5 or 5.5 lift. I have flat flares and a 1" body lift, but also have a lot of added weight (LoD front and rear, winch, and full belly skids). I'd like to try and stick to the 3.5 to avoid having driveshaft issues with the 5.5.

Anyone have opinions or advise on this? Anyone running a similar Rock Krawler set up?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the RK 3.5" Mid Arm. Its really beneficial to have the lower control arms. Really beefy kit.

Extra items I got for my lift.
* Extended rear brake lines. Fronts were included in kit(Crown)
* Shocks (Bilsteins)
* Front & rear bumpstops (I'm using the Teraflex fronts and homemade rear)
* Adjustable rear trac bar (I'm using JKS)
* Gusset on your front axle if your running 37's(Teraflex)
* Front drive shaft would be helpful, havent wheeled it yet and just driving to work I have already hit my front DS on my xfer skid.

Follow the links below for some earlier post of my build.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/rock-krawler-3-5-flex-system-finally-got-115666/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/got-37s-growing-up-117840/

Old 02-20-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
Since you have flat flares and a 1" body lift, the 3.5" will be more than sufficient.

5.5", plus a 1" BL, plus flat flares would make 37s look way too small.

I don't know if RK has HD springs--which it sounds like is what you want. I would give them a call prior to ordering.
I agree, with flat fenders and the 5.5 the 37's would look small. You could always go 40's. I bet with the correct bumpstops and your 1" body lift you wouldnt even hit the pinch seam rollin on 37's.

I dont know if the springs are HD or not, Im thinking they are not because the ride is very good and not at all rough. Well until I stuck the 37's on, it got a little rougher then.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

like others have said, 5.5" is silly tall..

Bruised Jk on 40's has the 5.5" It was the redrock one a JKfest..

I would stick with the 3.5", with the flat flares it'll be perfect
Old 02-21-2010, 07:23 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you're going flat fenders, 3.5" all the way. big tires and low stance = super stable.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Ya, too be honest I was 90% convinced of the 3.5 but just wanted to be 110% sure. Thanks for the input guys, my mind's made up.....for now. LOL
Old 02-21-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Ya, too be honest I was 90% convinced of the 3.5 but just wanted to be 110% sure. Thanks for the input guys, my mind's made up.....for now. LOL
dont worry, I'll help you change it again
Old 02-21-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would go with the 3.5". I have the 3.5" Rock Krawler lift on my jeep with 1" body. The only thing i want to change on mine is going from the 4 link to the 3 link in the rear. My tires do rub a little bit on the back pinch seam, but not at all on the front pinch seam. Guess i will have to do a little trimming. So far my fenders do not rub on the tires and i don't have extended bump stops yet.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Slightlymodified
I would go with the 3.5". I have the 3.5" Rock Krawler lift on my jeep with 1" body. The only thing i want to change on mine is going from the 4 link to the 3 link in the rear. My tires do rub a little bit on the back pinch seam, but not at all on the front pinch seam. Guess i will have to do a little trimming. So far my fenders do not rub on the tires and i don't have extended bump stops yet.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I actually have those same wheels on order (17")
Can you give me the specs on your Jeep? Is that the mid arm x factor? Any shots of her in actions (or any at all for that matter). Love your Jeep
Old 02-21-2010, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Slightlymodified

What steering stabilizer you runnin?