Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.21s...Really aggressive 33s or aggressive 35s?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*edit* This is about whats more usefull ON texas trails!

I am runnng stock gears on my 6speed 2 door with 2.5" lift... i can get some agressive 34.5s or REALLY agrressve 33.2s- whats more usefull for a Texas trails without regearing?

I would like to think with spacers in 4 low with naaaasty mud tires i could climb out of ruts even when on my axle. I have a wench btw... and a winch. Lol

Last edited by DeucesALLin; 10-02-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I run those gears with 35's and a 2.5 lift, zero issues with the Pentistar.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default 35 or 33?

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
I am runnng stock gears on my 6speed 2 door with 2.5" lift... i can get some agressive 34.5s or REALLY agrressve 33.2s for my DD. I run on muddy texas trails with clay and deep ruts but i will NOT be regearing anytime soon. Opinions?
You'd probably never hit overdrive even on the highway at 70mph. Gutless performance in mud at higher elevations or even at sea level. If you have the 3.8 it would suck even worse. Just read the sticky for yourself under questions for newbies, tires and rims. I've been studying it everyday for a week now wondering what to buy for my new on order Rubicon with 4.11's. I wouldn't go over 35's for myself with 4.11's.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Huh... im not a noob. I understand the 6th gear will be useless. My question is geared for off road perf. In 4 low on Texas trails what will get me farther? Really aggressive 33s spinnin or 35s touching the bottom of the rut?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarRegular
I run those gears with 35's and a 2.5 lift, zero issues with the Pentistar.
Auto or 6 speed manual?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Responsibly speaking you should go with the 33's with stock gears if you wanna go offroading, and then performance would be better than 35's on the highway and trailing. Speaking in Jeep terms though, you're always going to want bigger tires, it is inevitable.

The cons for going with the 35's, your offroad performance will be worse, a lot less power and torque on the road, less gas mileage, and your odds of breaking an axle part will increase. Pros, you'll spend less money only upgrading once, and it'll make you feel better when looking at it...

What gear ratio do you actually have?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Opalgem

You'd probably never hit overdrive even on the highway at 70mph. Gutless performance in mud at higher elevations or even at sea level. If you have the 3.8 it would suck even worse. Just read the sticky for yourself under questions for newbies, tires and rims. I've been studying it everyday for a week now wondering what to buy for my new on order Rubicon with 4.11's. I wouldn't go over 35's for myself with 4.11's.
Witha pentastar the tire sizes arnt an issue- its breaking stuff.

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sommer13
Responsibly speaking you should go with the 33's with stock gears if you wanna go offroading, and then performance would be better than 35's on the highway and trailing. Speaking in Jeep terms though, you're always going to want bigger tires, it is inevitable.

The cons for going with the 35's, your offroad performance will be worse, a lot less power and torque on the road, less gas mileage, and your odds of breaking an axle part will increase. Pros, you'll spend less money only upgrading once, and it'll make you feel better when looking at it...

What gear ratio do you actually have?

I have 3.21s so since when im offroad im in 4lo i figured that would make up for it... maybe not. I guess if i do it i cam just install my gears myself which i want to.

Are 11.5 in wide NASTY 33s gonna be better than my rubi 32s on a texas trail? Mud and rutz...
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
I have 3.21s so since when im offroad im in 4lo i figured that would make up for it... maybe not. I guess if i do it i cam just install my gears myself which i want to.

Are 11.5 in wide NASTY 33s gonna be better than my rubi 32s on a texas trail? Mud and rutz...
I would say any 33" tire is good for 3.21 gears, on the highway or offroad. For the mudding and ruts you'd definitely want a tire that will Cut through the mud, a wider one will just scrape the surface more. And since your running the 3.21 gears, I'd suggest getting some tires that are Light and aggressive, it'll be easier to get the tire to turn and less stress for your jeep when you do take it offroad...
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

I ran 33's for 2 weeks with 3.21's and a 6sp and it was absolutely horrible. Granted I live in the mountains, but I rarely was able to use 4th. It was all 1-3 for most driving. And offroad was terrible. There was no crawl ratio at all. Lots of clutch slipping.

Now I have 4.56's and its a dream to drive compared to 3.21's, even when I had the small 28" tires that it came with.

If you offroad, don't even consider 35's unless you are going to regear. Even if you have a pentistar, it wont make up for having no crawl ratio. The engine can only run at so low of an RPM before it stalls.

Quick Reply: 3.21s...Really aggressive 33s or aggressive 35s?