Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.21s, 35s, manual offroad - Will Superchips help?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.21s, 35s, manual offroad - Will Superchips help?

I asked this in a previous thread but it was sort of a highjack and didnt really get an answer. I currently have 35s, 3.21s and a manual. Horrible I know, but its livable in the city for now. I will be regearing in the future but saving up will take quite a while as my wife and I are having our first baby in a few months and 99% of funds are going to that.

My question is, for very mild offroading, with small rock climbs like the photo below, will a Superchips help? I ask because the main issue I was having is that while in 1st gear in 4 low, it is too jumpy on any rocks, and 2nd gear is too high, it stalls constantly. I had heard that with the Superchips, the offroad setting lightens the throttle response in first gear while in 4low. If that is the case, it'll help a lot for the time being.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

The SC will help you both on/off road. I noticed a difference with my throttle response with and without the programmer offroad and definitely recommend it. At the very least you will be able to correct your speedo for the larger tires. I will be honest and say that the difference is moderate offroad. However, i have yet to use the "Crawl Tune" which is designed to do exactly what you are looking for. Of course, nothing will help more than re-gearing. I hope I didn't just open your thread up to be hi-jacked. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

With that kind of a ratio id just wheel in 4lo
Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MDJKER
The SC will help you both on/off road. I noticed a difference with my throttle response with and without the programmer offroad and definitely recommend it. At the very least you will be able to correct your speedo for the larger tires. I will be honest and say that the difference is moderate offroad. However, i have yet to use the "Crawl Tune" which is designed to do exactly what you are looking for. Of course, nothing will help more than re-gearing. I hope I didn't just open your thread up to be hi-jacked. Good luck!
Thanks! I am saving up for the gears. Its just going to take a while.

Originally Posted by JCruz
With that kind of a ratio id just wheel in 4lo
I am wheeling in 4lo. Thats why 1st is too jumpy and 2 stalls out.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SC will help before and after a regear. And it is a good smaller investment that will tie you over until the regear. The SC made my 35's and 37's bearable to acceptable over the past 2 years and continues to be helpful after the regear. I say go for it.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

The torque is so high in 4 low that it might not matter if you're running 35's. You should still be able to crawl through anything. My guess is you'll get by fine offroad. It's onroad when you'll really notice the difference.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
The torque is so high in 4 low that it might not matter if you're running 35's. You should still be able to crawl through anything. My guess is you'll get by fine offroad. It's onroad when you'll really notice the difference.
Not necessarily. My buddy with 3.21's, 37's, manual, no SC, kept stalling out on climbs. He was too tall even in 4 lo.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

I've been running this combo for a while, I know what the OP is saying regarding the rocks. Some steep rocky climbs I've done I find my self bouncing and jerking over what I'd really like to crawl over b/c I simply don't have the gears.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renpia
Not necessarily. My buddy with 3.21's, 37's, manual, no SC, kept stalling out on climbs. He was too tall even in 4 lo.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by scotty6336
I've been running this combo for a while, I know what the OP is saying regarding the rocks. Some steep rocky climbs I've done I find my self bouncing and jerking over what I'd really like to crawl over b/c I simply don't have the gears.
Exactly. My kidneys REALLY dont like it And 2nd is just too tall
Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

A $300 Superchips is 25% of the way to gears. You really need the gears. I changed my 3.21's out when I had 32" tires.

Quick Reply: 3.21s, 35s, manual offroad - Will Superchips help?