Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3:21s & 32"tires?

Old 07-11-2007, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3:21s & 32"tires?

Just bought a 07 X 6spd. Got a little itchy at the dealership and bought the one that just came off the truck.. it was white and i didnt want to wait. The power is a little lacking, but just purchased an intake and planning to put ateast a muffler on it so she can breathe better.

Anyways my question: Is anyone running the highway gears with 32"s, i plan on mounting them on a 16 or 17x8? I dont plan on doing a lift or any serious off roading. How will my power be?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be fine, I know of one guy who is running 35's on 3.21s with power loss, but still moves (a little slow on highway upgrades)
Old 07-11-2007, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 3.21s (kinda regret that), 32" tires and the 6spd. Pretty much the same set up you're running. So to answer your question, YES you will notice a power loss on any highway grade. It seems like I end up down shifting a lot on the highway just to keep up. On the other hand I consistenly get 20 mpg which is nice. I think in the future when I put a lift and 35s on it I am going to have to get different gears.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-XS
I have 3.21s (kinda regret that), 32" tires and the 6spd. Pretty much the same set up you're running. So to answer your question, YES you will notice a power loss on any highway grade. It seems like I end up down shifting a lot on the highway just to keep up. On the other hand I consistenly get 20 mpg which is nice. I think in the future when I put a lift and 35s on it I am going to have to get different gears.

Ditto. I just put some Rubi wheels and tires on my X and it still feels the same as the 29" tires. But you will notice it on the freeway a bit more. I don't use sixth at all, not that I did to begin with. I ussually run up to 3000-3300 rpm's if I am running it a bit and normal driving around 2500 for a shift. You will just need to bump up your shift points a bit. But it's nice for now, I got rid of the little girls tires and looking to the future with 4.88's and 35's. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronniev
Just bought a 07 X 6spd. Got a little itchy at the dealership and bought the one that just came off the truck.. it was white and i didnt want to wait. The power is a little lacking, but just purchased an intake and planning to put ateast a muffler on it so she can breathe better.

Anyways my question: Is anyone running the highway gears with 32"s, i plan on mounting them on a 16 or 17x8? I dont plan on doing a lift or any serious off roading. How will my power be?
The power lacking part is the break in period controlled by the computer. Keeps you or any test driver from messing it up until 500 miles... Power boost at that point and another at 1k. Be patient.

If you are lookin for 32s, I have the BFGs I pulled off my Rubi a while back. only 1500 miles on them. Asking $500 for all 5 tires (no wheels) for 17" wheels.

email sgmrock@earthlink.net
Old 07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sgmrock
The power lacking part is the break in period controlled by the computer. Keeps you or any test driver from messing it up until 500 miles... Power boost at that point and another at 1k. Be patient...
OK, where did you get that bit of misinformation? I'm not trying to sound like a dick or anything, just wondering.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my X has 10000 miles on it and power is still lacking with 33's.

The gearing is really borderline with that size Tire.If your not going to wheel with it and want some extra grunt,throw an exhaust and intake kit and chip in it.It will restore most of what you lost in the tire/gearing.

I don't know how people are running 35's with the 3.21 gear.The final drive ratio is reduced to like a 2.63 which is good if your trying to set a new land speed record in your JK

Originally Posted by sgmrock
The power lacking part is the break in period controlled by the computer. Keeps you or any test driver from messing it up until 500 miles... Power boost at that point and another at 1k. Be patient.

If you are lookin for 32s, I have the BFGs I pulled off my Rubi a while back. only 1500 miles on them. Asking $500 for all 5 tires (no wheels) for 17" wheels.

email sgmrock@earthlink.net
Old 07-12-2007, 03:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Theresonlyonejeep
I don't know how people are running 35's with the 3.21 gear.The final drive ratio is reduced to like a 2.63 which is good if your trying to set a new land speed record in your JK
I have seen one base model X in my Jeep club with a 3 inch lift and 35's. I think he mostly uses it for around town driving, not too much highway. It looks great though!
Old 07-12-2007, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

I was in the same situation. I had my Rescue Green Unlimited 6-speed on order since March, with the 4:10's. I got tired of the wait, and hopped on one I found locally at a dealer with everything I wanted (plus Sirius) but with the 3:21's. I hesitated a few days, but eventually couldn't wait.
Since this JK will see no more than trails for at least a few years, it works for me. I have the 32's now and I only notice the lack of power when accelerating on hills. I just changed my shift points accordingly, and can always re-gear down road. I would be interested in the 32" BFG's.. email sent.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-XS
Same setup here too. Just took a road trip which was partially through the mountains of WV. Pretty much never left 5th gear; even had to go down to 4th on a couple of occassions to get some acceleration on the steeper inclines. On the flip side, I was only barely over 2K rpms at 75mph and was getting a little over 23mpg (according to the jeep).

Quick Reply: 3:21s & 32"tires?