Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.0L CRD V-6 Engine

Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0L CRD V-6 Engine

ok so maybe this is covered somewhere else but i cant find it for some reason if it is.

I have a 2007 jeep grand cherokee sitting in a junkyard with my name on it right now. it has the 3.0L CRD in it with a W5J400 Five-Speed Automatic and only 25k miles on it. was damaged on the rear and bent frame so insurance totalled it out.

Does this seem like a viable swap for the wrangler unlimited? what if any of the major complications of this, as people put hemi's in why not a 198 hp and 371 lb-ft of torque diesel engine.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Has to do with the computer. Apparently they tried to make at Blue-Tec work at Burnsville once.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

You can put just about any engine in any vehicle with the right fabrication. That's certainly a trade I would like to see a write-up on.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if it doesn't work in the grand cherokee, you can always get another grand cherokee to put it in. And I didn't know they were available in the states... (CRD that is).

If I were you, I would build a chassis tube frame off road buggy with that motor and tranny.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

[SUB][/SUB]
Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Has to do with the computer. Apparently they tried to make at Blue-Tec work at Burnsville once.
Back in 07/08 I talked to Burnsville about a3.0 crd swap but it was very expensive (engine) and the steering was an issue.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the swap I want to do. I will be living in Germany for 3 years and there are 3.0CRD's all over the place for $3,000. I'm guessing I will have to use the Grand transmission as well. I would love to hear more about this from some other people.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 AM
JK Freak

aside from the wiring and getting all the fueling correct. im pretty sure that motor can fit in a jk. iirc isnt this the diesel that comes on jk's in europe? correct me if im wrong.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chknkatsu
aside from the wiring and getting all the fueling correct. im pretty sure that motor can fit in a jk. iirc isnt this the diesel that comes on jk's in europe? correct me if im wrong.
Maybe it changed this year, but I know for at least the duration of the JK the euro version has had the 2.8L VM Motori engine.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Buy the entire G/C. That way you will have all the parts needed. ECU, fuel system, wiring harness, etc. If you take the motor and tranny only you will be missing many expensive parts.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
Buy the entire G/C. That way you will have all the parts needed. ECU, fuel system, wiring harness, etc. If you take the motor and tranny only you will be missing many expensive parts.
Agree if you have the hole gc it should work but I believe the issue with this swap is with clearance with the steering box they had to make allot of custom brackets and linkage

Quick Reply: 3.0L CRD V-6 Engine