Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.02in. backspacing, bearing failure, how long?

Old 09-30-2010, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.02in. backspacing, bearing failure, how long?

Hey guys,
I really like the look of the wider stance, JMO. But Im currently running 33's on 18x9's with 4.52 backspacing, and will be soon adding spidertrax 1.5's

I did some searching and there seems to be only a few running low backspacing.MKJEEP is one I read. But I dont recall any feedback on running it that low. If anyone else is, can you provide some feedback on how long you been running it that way, and if you have any extra part failures due to it. I know you add extra stress to your wheel bearings, but real life experiences would be nice to hear.

I only do mild offroading and hit mud pits here and there, as Im still trying to build my JK better and also still need to get married first before I start being more adventurous and possibly start breaking shit

Thanks
Old 09-30-2010, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still running stock front unit bearings after 63,000m, replced rear wheel bearings when I re-geared at 28,000m. Rears are getting replaced again due to a car hitting the rear of my jk from the side at about 50mph . I put the spacers on at 8,000m with stock tires and rims. At about 9,000 got 35's on stock rims. I guess it was around 20,000 somethin that I got the cragers 4.5 bs. Around 48,000( i think) started running 37's.
If you can sift though all the numbers I wrote , you can run 3.0 bs without too many worries.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kauaian
Hey guys,
I really like the look of the wider stance, JMO. But Im currently running 33's on 18x9's with 4.52 backspacing, and will be soon adding spidertrax 1.5's

I did some searching and there seems to be only a few running low backspacing.MKJEEP is one I read. But I dont recall any feedback on running it that low. If anyone else is, can you provide some feedback on how long you been running it that way, and if you have any extra part failures due to it. I know you add extra stress to your wheel bearings, but real life experiences would be nice to hear.

I only do mild offroading and hit mud pits here and there, as Im still trying to build my JK better and also still need to get married first before I start being more adventurous and possibly start breaking shit

Thanks
I think it will all depend on how often, and how you wheel your jeep. Yes it puts more leverage on the ball joints and unit bearings, but if your just pavement pounding most of the time and occasionally offroad, I don't think you will have that much of a problem. Yeah they will wear out earlier than if you didn't, but how much earlier would be hard to tell. Planman is also running 3.25 of bs.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys!
i know its pretty simple to replace bearings, just didnt want to do it too much or too often. And if the ball joints go, I hear their crap, and would be nice to replace anyways
Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Thanks for the input guys!
i know its pretty simple to replace bearings, just didnt want to do it too much or too often. And if the ball joints go, I hear their crap, and would be nice to replace anyways
Umm, yeah, I'm on my second set of balljoints and I need to change these. That's a freakin given on the jk though unless you can afford the dyna's.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:11 PM
JK Junkie

Mechanically I think you will be fine. It is legal I would be concerned with. Check your state laws and see what the rules are on tire width past the fenders. Friends don't let friends run mud flaps.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

by the way MK. your Jeep is badass. i hope mine grows up to be just like yours
saw it here
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ackspacing+3in.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

probably not legal here, but most times their pretty easy about it. but i still have heard of people getting a nasty ticket for it. i try to make a turn somewhere if i spot law enforcement behind me. i just dont like getting tailed by them period...im sure they wouldnt appreciate a rock to their windshield either

oh, and if theres ever snow here. they dont salt, so imagine all that gravel ...oops

yea dont do mudflaps here
Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

by the way MK. your Jeep is badass. i hope mine grows up to be just like yours
saw it here
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ackspacing+3in.
Thanks bro! Its a steady work in progress, yours will get there. It doesn't happen overnight unless you got mucho$$$$. I've piecemealed mine together.

Quick Reply: 3.02in. backspacing, bearing failure, how long?