Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2wd lift question

Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mvnolan
I forgot about the shortening of the rear driveline, thanks for reminding me. But actually, Chrysler has an adaptor for the tranny, which is relatively inexpensive, so you don't have to get a new transmission. As far as the new console, my mom has a 2wd, and hers actually has the groove for the shifter, it's just not cut out. Hers is an 07 though, so that might have changed. The linkages are why I bumped the price up to 1500 or so, as those are what I would consider "incidentals" But it really isn't all that difficult. It would however, take someone with substantial technical ability, and a decent set of tools. I have both, so my opinion may be skewed. I appreciate you reminding me about the rear DS, I have a friend that I will be helping with the conversion in a few months, and I would have forgot that. His wife would have been PISSED!!!!
The adapter part is pretty awesome, i helped a buddy convert an older truck over and we had to swap the tranny. Thats why we are here, learn something new every day!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. I think the best decision for the type and amount of wheeling I do is just a small lift with 35s and a winch. I'm looking into a rough country lift. What's the pros and cons on them?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mvnolan
I forgot about the shortening of the rear driveline, thanks for reminding me. But actually, Chrysler has an adaptor for the tranny, which is relatively inexpensive, so you don't have to get a new transmission. As far as the new console, my mom has a 2wd, and hers actually has the groove for the shifter, it's just not cut out. Hers is an 07 though, so that might have changed. The linkages are why I bumped the price up to 1500 or so, as those are what I would consider "incidentals" But it really isn't all that difficult. It would however, take someone with substantial technical ability, and a decent set of tools. I have both, so my opinion may be skewed. I appreciate you reminding me about the rear DS, I have a friend that I will be helping with the conversion in a few months, and I would have forgot that. His wife would have been PISSED!!!!
You are correct. I have less than 1200 in my conversion so far. The adapter bolts on and everything else slides in place.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by FlounderKA
How's the conversion going? Could you give me a list of parts so I can get a good idea of what you're using? What about all the little things like the shifter that goes in the cab and all that goes with that?
Get your lift and tires on so it looks the way you want it to. The conversion isn't tough. You can do it for cheap with all the left over parts on this site
After all we are in FL and unless you are a big mudder with a heavy foot you can get away with take offs for a while. I figure as I break parts I'll upgrade. Send me a PM with any questions. I'll send you a complete list of parts when I'm done. It will be a few weeks as I'm waiting for a few small parts to arrive
Old 04-21-2011, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK

Get your lift and tires on so it looks the way you want it to. The conversion isn't tough. You can do it for cheap with all the left over parts on this site
After all we are in FL and unless you are a big mudder with a heavy foot you can get away with take offs for a while. I figure as I break parts I'll upgrade. Send me a PM with any questions. I'll send you a complete list of parts when I'm done. It will be a few weeks as I'm waiting for a few small parts to arrive
Thanks that list would be greatly appreciated. I start keep my eye out for left over parts.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harbourone
My father always taught me that 4wd was a get out of jail free card.
i subscribe to the same philosophy, however, like the advantages 4lo offers...wish they made a 2lo kit for the non-rubi's.

Quick Reply: 2wd lift question