Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2wd lift question

Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you cant afford much and you dont wanna get a new Jeep theres plenty you could do with 35 mud terrains and a locker. I know I barely use 4WD until Im in a giant mud hole.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My father always taught me that 4wd was a get out of jail free card. I dont touch 4wd until Im in trouble either.

Then my winch is my backup.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK

I'm in the middle of converting mine and live just up I-4. Let me know if you need any help. As for the lift any brand will do. You have all the same mounts and parts minus that big masculine sack and a x-fer case.
How's the conversion going? Could you give me a list of parts so I can get a good idea of what you're using? What about all the little things like the shifter that goes in the cab and all that goes with that?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Try Rough Country. They have awesome packages for 2wd jeeps. Very affordable and easy to install.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea definitely go with the conversion. My bud has a 4runner that's got 4" of lift with 35s and he got stuck on a baby grass hill cuz he couldn't get traction in reverse so I pulled him out I know jeeps and 4runners are no comparison but you'll definitely enjoy 4wd more. And you can always lift it later. He also can't go through even the shallowest of creeks
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is there such thing as a kit that someone offers to do the conversion?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

to original post.....a good buddy of mine has a 2007 JKUS and his is 2wd and went with a 4" Rancho on 35's....hasn't experienced any issues....considering he doesn't do any hardcore 4-wheeling no biggie, but he enjoys it and his JK looks awesome...Rancho seems to make good products and they offer good prices (think some kind of a deal is going on right now?)...

Sam
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mvnolan
I've seen some 2wd models do some pretty insane stuff. The conversion to 4wd can actually be done on the cheap and still done correctly. You need the following:

1. A front live axle D30 geared to match D44 in rear (about $300 used if you keep a look out)
2. A transfer case (these can be picked up used pretty cheap too, $200-$500)
3. A front driveshaft (just go ahead and buy aftermarket, or pick up a free used one somewhere)
4. There is a bracket on the tranny that you will need to mate the tcase. (get it from the dealer or a junkyard.
5. I have heard that you don't absolutely have to have the ECM flashed, but probably a good idea.
6. A good jack, 2 jack stands, a good set of metric sockets, couple of good friends, a case of beer, and probably money to buy pizza for your friends. It could easily be completed in a few hours on a saturday afternoon if you have all the parts ready.

All together, you should come out well under $1500, the price of a decent lift. So which do you want? 4wd, or a lift??? Personally, I'd do the conversion, just because it will have a greater impact on your wheeling capabilities, it's easy to do, and it's fun!!!! Good luck, and enjoy it!!!
Pretty close, however the transfer cases and transmissions on the jks are married, so you will need a 4wd transmission as well as the transfer case. Then you need a rear and a front driveline because the transfer case will shorten the distance between the rear axle yoke and the rear output shaft on the t-case.

You will also need all of the linkages for shifting the transfer case, plus a center console to accomodate the shifting linkage.

Not to mention the traction control fighting your "2wd" jeep in four low.

It can be done, but it would be extremely difficult.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

that seems like a shit load of work and headache. if possible i would try to trade in for a 4wd. if not then.. i would just do a mild lift,locker and winch.. but its really all up to you brotha!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakspire
Pretty close, however the transfer cases and transmissions on the jks are married, so you will need a 4wd transmission as well as the transfer case. Then you need a rear and a front driveline because the transfer case will shorten the distance between the rear axle yoke and the rear output shaft on the t-case.

You will also need all of the linkages for shifting the transfer case, plus a center console to accomodate the shifting linkage.

Not to mention the traction control fighting your "2wd" jeep in four low.

It can be done, but it would be extremely difficult.
I forgot about the shortening of the rear driveline, thanks for reminding me. But actually, Chrysler has an adaptor for the tranny, which is relatively inexpensive, so you don't have to get a new transmission. As far as the new console, my mom has a 2wd, and hers actually has the groove for the shifter, it's just not cut out. Hers is an 07 though, so that might have changed. The linkages are why I bumped the price up to 1500 or so, as those are what I would consider "incidentals" But it really isn't all that difficult. It would however, take someone with substantial technical ability, and a decent set of tools. I have both, so my opinion may be skewed. I appreciate you reminding me about the rear DS, I have a friend that I will be helping with the conversion in a few months, and I would have forgot that. His wife would have been PISSED!!!!

Quick Reply: 2wd lift question